Estes Alpha III

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karl

Reaction score
Has anyone got a video of a Estes Alpha III on any motor ? Or any reviews / pics ? I got one of ebay , and it's kinda old. And came with a good , old B6-4 motor. This is the Alpha with a plastic fincan , hollow nosecone , and comes in a box with the launch pad , controller ect.

Just one more question , is the Estes ' Flying Model Rockets Operations' box OOP now?

Karl

Originally posted by Karl
Has anyone got a video of a Estes Alpha III on any motor ? Or any reviews / pics ? I got one of ebay , and it's kinda old. And came with a good , old B6-4 motor. This is the Alpha with a plastic fincan , hollow nosecone , and comes in a box with the launch pad , controller ect.

Just one more question , is the Estes ' Flying Model Rockets Operations' box OOP now?

Karl

Yep, they are a tad to fast to get on video.

As for pictures you might what to look at mine.

Click here.... and then scroll down just a bit. Click on the small pictures for bigger ones.

I also got another one on eBay just a week ago and it's waiting for me to get built in Florida :)

Cool, Leo the 'alpha III Starter Set' picture is down ,when I click to get a larger image I get 'Error 404' :confused:

Thats the same as mine , but mine came with a yellow electron beam controller & yellow launchpad. And my Alpha has a orange fincan & noseone , with a pre-printed black bodytube with orange decals.I carnt wait to see her scream on a C6-7!But I realy need a way of getting the fincan off the BT , so I can take the top centering ring off to add some kevlar & to replace the Shockcord.
Karl

Cool, Leo the 'alpha III Starter Set' picture is down ,when I click to get a larger image I get 'Error 404' :confused:

Thats the same as mine , but mine came with a yellow electron beam controller & yellow launchpad. And my Alpha has a orange fincan & noseone , with a pre-printed black bodytube with orange decals.I carnt wait to see her scream on a C6-7!But I realy need a way of getting the fincan off the BT , so I can take the top centering ring off to add some kevlar & to replace the Shockcord.
Karl

Hehe, I was just working on the link. Try again :)

Ok, you have the newer version sold 2002 - .
The parts are the same however.

Getting the tube of will be tough. I'd leave it as is and mount the kevlar string on the inside of the tube. Simular like using the Estes paper shock cord mounts.

Good luck getting the rocket back with a C6-7!! :D

LOL , I dont think I would try it on a C6-7 without replacing the shockcord , with all the cords past - use , the strain from a late ejection would more than likeley snap it. I think I'll just cut as much as I can off with scissors , then glue some kevlar as far down the tube as I can.
Yep the link works now :D
Karl

Dang Leo! Looks like you have all of the Alphas! There's just one I see that do not have - the 40th Anniversary Alpha. See attachment.

Originally posted by eugenefl
Dang Leo! Looks like you have all of the Alphas! There's just one I see that do not have - the 40th Anniversary Alpha. See attachment.

Yep, you're right. Ah well, can't have them all :)

Leo , how long have you been collecting that stuff for ?! You've got tons of OOP stuff ! I bet it's worth a good few $$$!
Karl

Leo , how long have you been collecting that stuff for ?! You've got tons of OOP stuff ! I bet it's worth a good few $$$!
Karl

Well Karl, most of the stuff you see I bought in the early 80's.
I had planed on building them all but I'm having second thoughts ;)

Yes, they are worth quiet a bit. If I go by eBay then I think the collection would run at about 12 thousand US dollars but who's counting :)

need a way of getting the fincan off the BT , so I can take the top centering ring off to add some kevlar & to replace the Shockcord

You are going to remove the old shock cord and anchor anyway, right? (Or, if this is a new kit, you're not going to install them?)

If you have a spare 20/50 centering ring, just go ahead and tie your new kevlar cord to that. Use a long stick and reach in from the front to wipe some glue around the inside of the BT just ahead of the motor mount. Slide the new 20/50 anchor in the front and push it back as far as it will go. Finish off with a bit more glue in front of the ring and across the anchor-end of the kevlar.

If you try to take the existing BT off of the front of the plastic fin can, one of two things can happen. (1) The assembly was originally not glued well (or used the wrong glue) and it comes apart easily and you don't have any problem. Or (2) the assembly is glued well and you will destroy the BT trying to remove it.

Check to see if the BT is securely attached BEFORE you launch or else you will have an interesting recovery system deployment (a.k.a., the "debris" recovery system).

Yep It is secure . I remember when I got it from Ebay , the fincan could twist around freeley without coming off :confused: . But I added a line of Thin CA to the seam and it will not budge now .

Right , I have no spare centering rings , but a spent 24mm casing fits straight inside the BT , so Ill cut 1/2" off the spent casing and tie / glue the kevlar to that.

Thanks for all the advice!
Karl

Ohh could someone tell me how much kevlar I will need? I have a small spool , and I know the standard shockcord was only about 20cm but Im using kevlar & shockcord , so around 10cm kevlar , 20cm shockcord?
Beware people at IRW , she WILL be going up on a C6-5/7 :D
Karl

Well here she is along with the new shock cord & kevlar , home-made shockcord mount , and my poopy art work :eek:

Well here she is along with the new shock cord & kevlar , home-made shockcord mount , and my poopy art work :eek:

Make lotsa pics if you are going to use a C6-7! :D

lol! Well the IRW site is more than sufficiant for a C6! Ill try her on the ye old B6-4 that came with her , or should I keep it :confused:
But never the less she will be making a appearance along with my SpinFin & Mark II (semroc) . Now you think the Alphas gonna scream ? Wait till you see the Mark II go :D

My son built an Alpha III as one of his first kits. It does very well indeed on a B6-4. He likes to get it back, so that is what we use every time.

Well Im not sure my B6-4 is going to be up to it for a number of reasons .

1) With it being old , it shows it age , with the aft nozzle having 'grity' texture insted of smooth clay.

2) With it being old & has been shipped half way round the country , I dont know wether the fuel grain may have cracked/fractured.

Well Im not sure my B6-4 is going to be up to it for a number of reasons .

1) With it being old , it shows it age , with the aft nozzle having 'grity' texture insted of smooth clay.

2) With it being old & has been shipped half way round the country , I dont know wether the fuel grain may have cracked/fractured.

Use it.

And be sure to make lotsa pictures HAHAHAHA ;)

Ohh Ahhh willl :D Im not going to risk it if theres a sky of clouds , no matter what the cloud base is . I AM getting her back!

Heres a strange fact :

The 12" 'Chute is old , this can be proven , because the shroud material is alot stiffer & shorter than Estes realease in kits these days . BUT : The rocket has been flown say about 20 times , WITH this same 'chute but it has only sufferd 1 2x2mm burn hole :confused: :eek:

Wether the Alphas previous owner was a ace wadding_putter_in , Ill never know.
Karl:cool:

Back