PA system upgrade Question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnnwwa

Reaction score
Our 4-H Club Olympic Peninsula Rocketry has aquired a 110/12 volt 25 watt PA system. with mic/ stand and Speakers/tripods. It's an old bullet proof Radio Shack PA works great. 1970's

My question is I would perfer to use a headset boom mic do you have any suggestions. I would like to keep the price down on this purchase.

Thanks in advance.

John

Last edited:
Our 4-H Club Olympic Peninsula Rocketry has aquired a 110/12 volt 25 watt PA system. with mic/ stand and Speakers/tripods. It's an old bullet proof Radio Shack PA works great. 1970's

My question is I would perfer to use a headset boom mic do you have any sugestions. I would like to keep the price down on this purchase.

Thanks in advance.

John

Go to Target. In the electronics dept they sell wireless microphones.

They have an inexpensive unit that uses a 9 volt battery in the transmitter and receiver. Under $30. Not on their website.

If you don't need/want wireless, you should be able to find a suitable headset/mike at any computer or office supply place. You will probably need an adapter to fit the 1/8" plug into a 1/4" jack. Those are available ar RadioShlock or other electronics stores.

Perhaps a clip on Lavalier microphone would be best suited. They can be used as a handheld as well. Many come with a push button on the wire for intermittent use or an on/off switch a well. Rad Shack has them, or ebay.

Well, here's a subject I can chime in on.
I've been using wireless headset mics for over 20 years. I've got experience with different styles from many manufacturers. I use wireless headsets because both my hands must to be free to play my instruments. To keep it easy, I'd go for a wired headset and you won't run into other signals breaking into your announcements.

For general P.A. announcements, try to get a dynamic instead of a condensor microphone. Dynamic mics are better for general announcements, they'll cut through better than a condensor. Condensors would be better for singing or recording.

Clip on or Lavelier mics sometimes require a hotter signal because the mic is farther away from the mouth. More gain, more chance for feedback. Some Lav mics are omnidirectional, taking sound in from all sides. You are best off with a unidirectional mic. Be sure and set the speakers in front of and away from your microphone.

If you want to go wireless, go to the Audio Technica website for great general information.
These two pages may answer some questions:
https://www.audio-technica.com/cms/site/2b1098a99bf0f43b/index.html
https://www.audio-technica.com/cms/site/af9d127e26abf498/index.html

Hope this helps!

Southern Area Rocketry (NAR Section 571) has used a car battery driven PA system for years. Until 12/26 we used a wired microphone. Christmas brought a cordless/wireless microphone system. See https://cgi.ebay.com/new-Wireless-c...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item35a5ec2a1b.

The wired mircophone interferes with Launch Control (holding a launch card, arming pads, pushing launch buttons, swatting members who get unrulely.

I'd like to suggest a device called an inverter. It takes 12V DC and converts it to AC. With an inverter your PA system isn't tied to the power grid.

Happy New Year

Southern Area Rocketry (NAR Section 571) has used a car battery driven PA system for years. Until 12/26 we used a wired microphone. Christmas brought a cordless/wireless microphone system. See https://cgi.ebay.com/new-Wireless-c...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item35a5ec2a1b.

The wired mircophone interferes with Launch Control (holding a launch card, arming pads, pushing launch buttons, swatting members who get unrulely.

I'd like to suggest a device called an inverter. It takes 12V DC and converts it to AC. With an inverter your PA system isn't tied to the power grid.

Happy New Year

Thanks for the information. At the present time we are using two 12 volt jump starters Walle World Black& Decker Brand ) one for the PA system and one for our 6 rack pad w/ a Pratt Hobbies 6 pack launch controller. The wireless mic setup is my choice price of item you sent is in the right price range . Thanks John

Back