Making balsa nose cones more durable?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hello,

I would like to make my balsa nose cones more durable. Seems they get nicked up after awhile. Anyone have any tips?

Thanks in advance,
Brian

--Use harder balsa (if you are turning your own NCs on a lathe) or basswood

--Soak them in CA before beginning the 'sealer' treatments

--Dip them in thin epoxy and let hang nose-down to drip and cure

I use 20 minute Finishing Epoxy, painted on with a small brush. I let it drip off the pointy end. Make certain you have FINISHING epoxy. It is much thinner than any structural epoxy. Believe me, I tried it. :eek: ;)

Same here, I paint mine with West Systems epoxy using a foam brush.
Word of caution: do not try to force a faster dry using heat. It forces air inside the balsa to expand and create bubbles in the finish.(We learn from our mistakes:D )

Originally posted by bswan72
Hello,

I would like to make my balsa nose cones more durable. Seems they get nicked up after awhile. Anyone have any tips?

Thanks in advance,
Brian

I get real good results with Deft lacquer sanding sealer. I use the spray for tubes and fins, but I have a 1 quart can for nose cones. I suspend them in it up to the shoulder and let them soak a bit. Probably not as tough as epoxy, but lighter and easier to finish.

I use Minwax wood hardener. I sand the cone with 400 grit sandpaper, attach the screw eye, hook the cone onto a coat hanger, and submerge the cone into the stuff. Then remove and allow to dry. It soaks in and hardens the cone without adding any appreciable weight.

Phred

Originally posted by astronboy
I use Minwax wood hardener. I sand the cone with 400 grit sandpaper, attach the screw eye, hook the cone onto a coat hanger, and submerge the cone into the stuff. Then remove and allow to dry. It soaks in and hardens the cone without adding any appreciable weight.

Phred

Yup yup, pretty much the same stuff as the Deft. They also have polyurethane, which I haven't been able to paint over very well, but makes a beautiful finish (my wife has asked for a balsa or basswood "little box"), and another type which I *think* is the same as Future.

Originally posted by missileman
Same here, I paint mine with West Systems epoxy using a foam brush.
Word of caution: do not try to force a faster dry using heat. It forces air inside the balsa to expand and create bubbles in the finish.(We learn from our mistakes:D )
Try warming the cone B-4 dipping - that way the epoxy cures faster and the air inside is shrinking, causing the epoxy to get sucked in.

I would try fiberglassing it with light glass, I put tons of epoxy on one once, and it still dented.

Back