Solar Sailer II "Front" BT Length?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eugenefl

Reaction score
Alright scratchbuilders, I'm in a bind here. What's the length of the "front" body tube on the Solar Sailer II? The plans indicate a part number of 30366. I've looked all over the web and can't find the correct length for this BT-50 tube.

As mentioned in <a href="https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10151">this</a> thread, I found a silver "solar sail" parachute. I'm gonna go ahead and use this bad boy. It looks too cool to be in a box.

Thanks in advance for the correct length on this kit.

Ok, I need the thickness of the balsa and dowel for this kit too.

Thanks again.

Hey Eugenio:

Too bad I didn't log on here last night - I have that kit at home, and opened it to measure it for my upscale.

That forward tube is the equivalent to a BT50L, and is 12.7" long. And I'm *almost* positive those dowels are 1/8" - they should be slightly thicker than your fin stock, and the kit has 3/32 balsa fins.

I take it you gleaned from the plans that the lower tube is 6.5" long.

And here's a minor construction tip or two: I'd glue the centering rings for the lower BT50 into the ends of that BT50 first, rather than onto the BT20 as the plans suggest. This makes it much easier to get them flush with the ends of the BT50 in the final product. You can then slide the BT50 with rings attached onto the BT20 and glue in place, flush with the end.

I'd slide that BT50 onto the bt20 and push it up above where the motor hook is installed (don't forget to "notch" the lower centering ring on the BT50 first.) Then, install the thrust ring and motor hook in the BT20. Then slide the BT50 back down over the motor hook, with the notch in the lower ring centered over the hook.

For the launch lugs, I wouldn't even bother marking the lines on the BT50's for them. I'd just eyeball them, and set them just off to the side of one of the "solar panels" on the core tube. I hope that makes sense - this seemed a lot easier to me than getting that alignment mark straight across the two separated tubes.

Dang man. You read my mind...almost as if you've been there before! Yep, I was sitting at my build table with a bunch of parts laying around. I found the aft tube length in the instructions and pretty much hit a wall after that. Thanks for the info.

Originally posted by eugenefl
Dang man. You read my mind...almost as if you've been there before! Yep, I was sitting at my build table with a bunch of parts laying around. I found the aft tube length in the instructions and pretty much hit a wall after that. Thanks for the info.

;)

LOL! No, no build pictures yet. I am happy to report however that my Sky Raider clone is completed, painted, decaled, and Future polished. It's beautiful!

My Omega D clone is near completion. The motor mounts are installed, fins cut, and decals printed. Next to it are the parts for the Solar Sailer II and the FarScape in its bag. Pictures to come tomorrow. My card reader is at work right now. :rolleyes:

Back