Quest Rockets

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally posted by Fore Check
I picked up the Intruder and Antari off of the clearance rack during the 1/2 off sale a few months ago - not this last one, but the one before that. I guess this means they've been on clearance for a little while now. (I also picked up a Commander kit that was on clearance too. Clearance price *and* 1/2 off - can't beat that!)

BTW, I converted my Antari to fly on 13mm motors and it flies great! Haven't built the Intruder yet.

Did the Antari fly too high on 18 mm A6-4 or A8-3's? Or did you expect it to, anyway?

I came *that* close to picking up a Commander at the same time as the Intruder and Antari; it was on clearance too, for about $4.

Clearance and 1/2 price would have been great! I thought I was doing really well when I got my Estes Stars & Stripes starter kit for $10.00 at 1/2 price, back at the beginning of July.

Sorry to change the topic a little but could someone tell me who I can get in contact with for replacement Spinfin decals & a Big Rage nosecone please?
Karl

Hi Karl,
Simply give Quest a call @ (800) 858-7302. They should be able to get replacements out to you in short order.

I'm another Quest fan. As a BAR, I'm really happy to have all the choices that are available these days. I was a big fan of Centuri, and the Quest rockets remind me of Centuri.

I bought a Quest Zenith II and papered the fins (just to try that out, though it's overkill for this rocket, probably). Strengthened the coupler with thin CA and sanded it to perfection. The fit was just right. Took it to NSL in Hearne Texas and lost it on the third flight. It was windy out there. I ignored my instincts, which told me on that last flight to reef the chute (or swap in a streamer) and fly only the sustainer. It drifted horizontally into a low place in a cloud and never emerged. Hey, I may have set an unofficial (and unknown) altitude record for the meet! ;)

I'm also fond of the FlisKits rockets (though I don't own any - yet). I want the Richter Recker, the Deuce, the Tres, and most of all the Acme Spitfire, just to mention a few. I've downloaded the Midnight Express, printed it onto 110 lb. card stock, and will build it soon. Jim Flis is helping us think beyond 3FNC to some innovative and fun new stuff.

Apogee makes some great stuff too (though, again, I don't have any yet). The Aspire is a nice rocket, which can economically do amazing feats. The trick would be getting it back after you've just flown it a mile up in a Texas breeze. Can't wait to get a Heliroc. I bought some other stuff (book & CD) from Apogee and have found Tim Van Milligan to be just great to deal with. A real hobby guru. His book on rocket design and construction is great, as is his newsletter. I like his emphasis on strength in construction while keeping things light. We could all learn a lot from Tim, and I plan to.

I just bought a LOC/Precision Graduator from The Rocket Garden recently. I plan to post more about that in the Mid Power forum soon, detailing my thoughts and asking for a lot of good advice from the veterans here and ideas from all. This may be my first D flight since flying my old Estes Pershing 1A, lo those many years ago and my first E+ flight with anything. I'll save that for the other thread, but I want to conclude by saying here that I've found Bryan Penfold to be great to work with. He was able and willing to hold my rocket to ship after my vacation so it wouldn't disappear from my doorstep or get crushed in the Post Office. It arrived quickly and in great shape. Can't wait to build it.

What a hobby! :D

Howdy Mad Rocketeer!
I'm presently going through my second "BAR" stage. That's where I get the "Re-Bar." I like the Quest stuff, too, and if you hang around these forums much you'll find out that Fliskits and Jim Flis are legends, for lack of a better word. There are so many good choices available for the rocketeer these days that you may never get around to sampling it all. But the fun is in trying:)

Rebar:

I wondered about the name. Somehow, it brought up an image of someone welding the skeleton of a HP rocket out of the kind of rebar used in reinforced concrete. Stout, but massive! :eek:

I like it. Rebar is a very cleverly chosen name.

-------------------------

Sandman:

Thanks. I've bookmarked it and am browsing their on-line catalog in a separate browser instance. Verrrrry nice!

I may be adding to my list of must-purchase rockets and re-sorting the list to include some of these . . . :)

Starfire! Semroc is coming out with a Starfire, and for just $8.50 ! :D

I used to have one and loved it. I finally wore it out. Still have the remaining parts somewhere. I'll definitely want another.

I wonder if they take requests? I'd love to see Long Tom again. That was my first two-stager and my first baffle. The pass-port staging worked fine, but I finally burned the coupler up flying it repeatedly one day.

Who says you can never go home again? Thanks, Sandman for a very good steer.

My pleasure, Mad, so how big is your first SEMROC order?

sandman

Sandman:

I suspect I'll want several items from these guys. Just bought a LOC/Precision Graduator, though, and I have several unbuilt kits. I also bought a couple of the Quest packs with 10 Micro Max ready-to-fly rockets, 50 Micro Max motors, a launcher, and a little pad, so I need to play with that. Might be a while, but I have a very organized wish list. I will not forget to come back and look for this Starfire when I can. :D Maybe they'll see this thread and add the Long Tom to their coming attractions. {Insert wistful sigh.}

Hey Mad Rocketeer.
If you want kits from different manufacturers, you can save on shipping by buying them all under one roof. I have kits, books on rocketry, motors, and a buncha other stuff. Check out my site when you have time:D

Originally posted by Mad Rocketeer
Starfire! Semroc is coming out with a Starfire, and for just $8.50 ! :D

I used to have one and loved it. I finally wore it out. Still have the remaining parts somewhere. I'll definitely want another.

snip

No need to wait.
Semroc has the fins and all parts currently available.
The Starfire is nice.

Rebar:

I just opened a separate window to cruise your site. I thought I'd had it bookmarked already, since I've been there before and found items of interest. Took care of that just now. My wish list (told you it was organized) includes rockets, their stats, a personal rating as to how much I want it at the moment, and a list of prices and URLs from my research into vendors. The Deuce's Wild is on my list (Canted clusters are cool.), and I just saw the best price I've seen for the Deuce so far on your site. Way to pick a bird for a sale. :) I'll have to add your site to my wish list lines for all the matches I find there. I've spent a lot of money on rocket stuff lately, though, and I have a backlog in my honey-do list, so I'll have to wait a bit. Sigh.

Habu:

The Starfire is a nostalgia bird for me. I think I'd want one again today for the same features and look that attracted me as a kid, but the fact that I had one then and have kept the peices of my original just make it all the more a have-to buy. This one gets a top or near-top rating on my want-it scale. ;)

Originally posted by JRThro
Did the Antari fly too high on 18 mm A6-4 or A8-3's? Or did you expect it to, anyway?

I came *that* close to picking up a Commander at the same time as the Intruder and Antari; it was on clearance too, for about $4.

Clearance and 1/2 price would have been great! I thought I was doing really well when I got my Estes Stars & Stripes starter kit for $10.00 at 1/2 price, back at the beginning of July.

On the Antari - the recommended engines are only in the A class anyway - probably so you don't melt the plastic around the nozzle and fin can area. :)confused: )

It's such a small rocket anyway, the 13mm power just seemed like the thing to do.

Originally posted by Fore Check
On the Antari - the recommended engines are only in the A class anyway - probably so you don't melt the plastic around the nozzle and fin can area. :)confused: )

It's such a small rocket anyway, the 13mm power just seemed like the thing to do.

Yeah, considering that it says explicitly on the front of the package, "A6-4 (first flight) or A8-3 only. Do not use higher power motors." And considering that the motor mount is a paper tube for the front 1/2 or so of the motor only, while the nozzle end of the motor mount *is* the fin can, something higher power probably *would* melt it.

What kind of altitudes are you getting on the fractional A motors?

Got to give props to Quest for 2 of their kits i've built and flown.

The Quest Tomahawk, whilst a bit funky when creating the rear shroud, is a fabulous flier, so strong, and looks fabulous off the pad.

The Shuttle Intrepid flies great on an A - yes, A. She only goes about 50 feet up, but talk about slow and majestic. The shuttle glides great , albeit very short.

I'm looking at the Harpoon next, given my love of all things scale.

Cheers,

Habu said: No need to wait.
Semroc has the fins and all parts currently available.
The Starfire is nice.

Somehow, I missed the meaning the first time I read this. Now I realize you're saying they have all the parts for the Starfire now, just not done up in a kit yet. I guess that would exclude decals. How would I tell which parts the Starfire uses? I'm not sure I could determine exact nosecone shapes from the pictures, etc.

Thanks.

Mad Rocketeer,

Go here to get free plans...you can brouse all day!

https://www.dars.org/jimz/rp00.htm

download the PDF file if available or

right click "save target as"

then you have it.

If you don't want to wait and don't want to search:

https://www.dars.org/jimz/kc-12.htm

All the parts are on SEMROC's site. Laser cut fins, balsa nose cone, body tube, motor mounts...we can help you find it...or just wait until the kit is available.

Back