Quest MicroMaxx Super Value Starter Set

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shreadvector

Reaction score
They are appearing.

I went to a Hobby People store to ask them for an update today (Sun 7/11). They confirmed what I was told over the phone, that they have already reached the stores in San Diego county. They also told me that the warehouse in Fountain Valley
(Serving Orange & LA County) has a truckload and that they just arrived. They expect them to be sent by local Hobby People delivery truck to the various local stores this week.

Call your store and ask when their truck is supposed to arrive. Let them know what you want. Here are the product numbers:

Quest 5618
Hobby People 818603
$39.9x (5 or 9)

10 rockets (blow out of the old RTF models)
50 (yes I said FIFTY) MMXII-1 motors and igniters
Standard launch pad with MicroMaxx adapter
Electronic beeping 9 volt controller.

This blowout sale item will help convert existing stock to cash and will speed new products to market. Last word was that new products (like "real" lightweight MMX kits) were on track for early 2005 release.

I imagine that you folks who shop at Hobby Lobby will see yours arrive when the truck finally finishes lumbering down the interstate from Yuma.
--
-Fred Shecter
Auctions:
https://cgi6.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewSellersOtherItems&include=0&userid=shreadvector

I bought one of these sets, today, at a San Diego Hobby People store.

$39.99 (Before tax).

Packaging is a large white cardboard box with a full color wrapper around the box (The ends are left open).

i intend to buy one today (if they unload the truck at Lakewood before I have to head home).

What type of igniters are included? (The latest "QMX" with thin nichrome or the new "Q2" ?)

Does the Saturn V have the larger fins so it flies stable?

Thanks!

Originally posted by Initiator001
I bought one of these sets, today, at a San Diego Hobby People store.

$39.99 (Before tax).

Packaging is a large white cardboard box with a full color wrapper around the box (The ends are left open).

I bought one.

Photos are posted in the MicroMaxx Yahoogroup.

QMX igniters.

My Saturn V had small fins. I'll try it once on the MMXII-1 and if it's unstable I'll add clear plastic fins. They can be cut from the plastic 'blister' that motors come packed in.

There is 3 more at our Hobby Lobby I could get them for some of you and ship them to you E-mail or PM if you are interested

Progress report - they've made it across the Mississippi River. I picked mine up this evening at our local Hobby Lobby (south-western Indiana). Can't wait to start experimenting with all those motors!

Greg

I noticed them today in our Hobby Lobby in Iowa. Looked very interesting.

Too broke today to pick them up, waiting for that next half off sale then it will be a sweeeeet deal...

The one thing i did notice though was that our hobby lobby does not carry the micro max motors, neither does our hobby town, never looked before but i'm assuming these motors are available via online vendors..?

Hello,
Anyone have a list of the actual rockets you get with this deal? Also, which of these rockets fly good without adding any stabilizing fins like the Saturn?

Thanks in advance,
Brian

Well, let's see:

There's the Saturn V, of course. The others are:

Tomahawk Cruise Missile
Space Shuttle
UFO
Space Fighter
SR71 Blackbird
No Mercy
Critical Mass
Raw Fusion
Vector 1

Of course, I already had most of those (didn't have the No Mercy or Critical Mass), but then, I bought the thing mostly for the engines, and for the igniter adapter. At $39.99 for 50 motors, it is the cheapest you're ever going to find the motors for (cheapest I'd seen is $5.99 for 6) short of HL's 50% off sale (convenient how that happened LAST week!)

Greg

Someone already posted a list, so I'll try to describe the how they tend to fly.

The SVSS comes with MicroMaxxII-1 motors, so most of the models will really move. Even if they go unstable, the new 12 inch launch rod will allow them to build up enough upward velocity to continue "upward" even if they tumble.

I flew the small finned Saturn V on Saturday just to prove that it was still unstable. It went pretty high for it's weight and tumbled for the last third of the way up. Probably 50 to 70 feet altitude, but that's based on eyeballing it. I took it home and super-glued small rectangular fins attached to the existing fins to make them 3 or 4 times the area. I use the clear plastic from an Estes or Quest motor package blister. I've flown these before and they are extremely stable with the fins added.

The two models with normal looking trapezoidal fins are super stable. I flew one Saturday to about 200 ft (maybe just under, but if the delay time was longer it would have made it to 200 feet or beyond).

I flew the SR-71 on Saturday and it was perfectly stable. Maybe 100 feet altitude.

I've flown the flying saucer in the past and it is perfectly stable. Expect it to hit 20 feet altitude.

The semi-normal looking "3 fins and a nose cone" rocekts with the fins with the notch effect are sometimes stable. I've flown many of them in the past and once in a while they went unstable, but most of the time they were fine. The longer launch rod and the MMXII-1 motors may help, since the older MMXI-1 motors had a "Noxx-hole" instead of a nozzle and they could have vectored thrust which destabilized some 'normally stable' models.

Let's see, that leaves the Space Fighter (big fat thing with 2 fin-pairs on opposite sides), the Shuttle Orbiter and the Tomahawk Cruise Missile.

I've seen the cruise missile fly before and I beleive it's stable. I'll need to try my new one out next time.

The Shuttle Orbiter is another one that is sometimes stable and sometimes not. This time it's not the motor. You see, the nose has small weight pellets in it covered with hot-melt glue. If the pellets are not positioned properly, they can throw the stability off. In other words, the pellets can be off to one side. If you find that it is unstable, you can add a ventral (bottom) fin (just off the centerline to allow the launch lugs to work) or 2 small ventral fins on either side of the lugs.

I don't remember the Space Fighter flying before, but I know I've seen it - I just don't remember it....
I'll have to fly that next time as well.

50 motors. WOW. This is nuts.

Originally posted by bswan72
Hello,
Anyone have a list of the actual rockets you get with this deal? Also, which of these rockets fly good without adding any stabilizing fins like the Saturn?

Thanks in advance,
Brian

now all Quest has to do is offer 50 and 100 engine packs at reasonable prices....now thats nutz..............

The SVSS's are in Houston now, too. I saw 4 at a Hobby Lobby during my lunch break today. The same Hobby Lobby had other Quest starter sets, too, non-MicroMaxx ones with a rocket, controller, launch pad, and engines (I think; I didn't look too closely at them).

I've got a big shipment coming from Quest this week and tried to get some of these sets, but they were out and Ray said he didn't know when they would have anymore, so if you see one, better grab it.

Originally posted by rebar_rocketry
I've got a big shipment coming from Quest this week and tried to get some of these sets, but they were out and Ray said he didn't know when they would have anymore, so if you see one, better grab it.

I'd sure like to know what Quest items you carry, but that part of your website isn't there yet.

Do you want feedback on what parts of the site aren't working, or should we just wait till you have it all up and running?

Just So you know Spreadvector adding tiny triangles to the small fin Saturn-V fixes the problem with a tid of CA and a little clear package front material or very thin clear anything.

Sure wish I could find a dealer or distributor in this area I want to get 4 sets to start. the models,and launchers will go to neighborhood kids and Scout groups... the motors will most of them, i'll keep:)

Originally posted by Micromister
Sure wish I could find a dealer or distributor in this area I want to get 4 sets to start. the models,and launchers will go to neighborhood kids and Scout groups... the motors will most of them, i'll keep:)

2 of the 4 Hobby Lobbies I've gone to here in Houston had 4 sets each. The other 2 had none. Not that that's any help to you at all.

I've been going to the gym, so it's not "Spreadvector". ;)

I uploaded photos to the Micromax YahooGroup of a new adapter I made. I also plopped my Saturn V on the adapter and it shows the clear fins. I've been adding clear fins to these since they first showed up and were proven unstable. The SVSS has the small finned Saturn V and needs the clear plastic fins (I make them from the clear plastic 'blister' from an Estes or Quest motor pack).

Later generation Micro Saturn Vs have larger fins. Those large finned Saturn V micros fly great, but they must have had a few hundred thousand of the older/earlier ones lying around and so included them in the SVSS.

I might have to buy even more motors from eHobbies at that crazy blowout price.

Originally posted by Micromister
Just So you know Spreadvector adding tiny triangles to the small fin Saturn-V fixes the problem with a tid of CA and a little clear package front material or very thin clear anything.

Originally posted by JRThro
I'd sure like to know what Quest items you carry, but that part of your website isn't there yet.

Do you want feedback on what parts of the site aren't working, or should we just wait till you have it all up and running?

I appreciate feedback of any kind, but if it's too harsh, I would appreciate an email instread of a post:D

I just became a dealer for Quest products, so I haven't had time to complete the web page yet, and I'm waiting on some artwork from Bill who is, unfortunately, in China this week. If any of you fellas have any Quest models you've built with pictures and wouldn't mind me using the pics, I would really appreciate it. They always sell better with "live" models than artwork.

Re-Bar:
I'd be happy to let you use pic of any Micro-Maxx model I've made.. The more folks can see what Can be flown with micro's the better for Quest and all us Maxxers:D
Pick any you'd like to see in a larger size I'd e-mail them to you after Naram

I really appreciate that, Micromister. I'll get with you after NARAM about 'em.
I would like to say that I've already built 'em myself and have my own pictures, but if anyone has read this month's narcon coverage in Sport Rocketry, they'll know what I'm talking about. On the vendors forum, they talked about starting a rocket company and it consuming their time to the point to where they no longer have the time to actually build rockets and enjoy the hobby. I definitely know what they're talking about. I usually get in the bed around 1 in the morning and up by 6. On weekends I get a little bit more sleep. My 5 year old son has been after me to help him build the Venus Space Probe for a while now, and I have to keep putting him off. (He loves the wittle Ay-wee-un) So you helping me like this is appreciated more than you know.

I appreciate feedback of any kind, but if it's too harsh, I would appreciate an email instread of a post:D

I just became a dealer for Quest products, so I haven't had time to complete the web page yet, and I'm waiting on some artwork from Bill who is, unfortunately, in China this week.

I wasn't planning on being harsh, and my feedback would have been via e-mail rather than a post here. The parts of your site that are complete look really good, btw. You probably already know what is and is not working, though.

Originally posted by JRThro
I wasn't planning on being harsh, and my feedback would have been via e-mail rather than a post here. The parts of your site that are complete look really good, btw. You probably already know what is and is not working, though.

I appreciate the compliment, and as far as what Quest stuff I'll be carrying (without gettting into too much detail) it'll basically be some micromaxx kits, micromaxx motors, starter sets, and regular kits, incuding some quick-kits, along with regular motors. Just a little tip here: Quest is currently working on D motors. No idea on when they'll ship, though. That's our little secret. OK?

Just a little tip here: Quest is currently working on D motors. No idea on when they'll ship, though. That's our little secret. OK?
Yup, I announced that back in March when I announced they'd come out with these Super Value Starter Sets in June.

Quest is currently working on D motors.

If they can develop something interchangeable with the current 24mm motor mounts, and if their motors deliver 'full' impulse (instead of the 85% Ds that a certain company puts out), and if Quest can do it for a comparable price, then they're gonna have a HOT seller on their hands!

I am looking forward to seeing what Quest can do!

Originally posted by powderburner
If they can develop something interchangeable with the current 24mm motor mounts, and if their motors deliver 'full' impulse (instead of the 85% Ds that a certain company puts out), and if Quest can do it for a comparable price, then they're gonna have a HOT seller on their hands!

I am looking forward to seeing what Quest can do!
I also heard the "E" word being mentioned.

Back