Tubes projecting through conical transitions

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wrote a Perl script back when I was building the APRO Lander II to do something similar. There my goal was precise cuts for a launch lug poking through conical shrouds. Almost but not quite the same thing. Maybe I'll update it to do this as well. I may need something like it someday.

On the other hand, this would be a good Inkscape exercise. I could use the practice...

I’d be interested to see the script if you’re willing to share it...

Last edited:
I can't tell you exactly how to do it, but I think you can model the transition in Fusion 360 then create a flat pattern for it. I saw one example video that used a plug-in to convert a seat cover into a flat pattern for cutting it out from leather.

Fusion 360 is free for hobbyists to use.

I can't tell you exactly how to do it, but I think you can model the transition in Fusion 360 then create a flat pattern for it. I saw one example video that used a plug-in to convert a seat cover into a flat pattern for cutting it out from leather.

Fusion 360 is free for hobbyists to use.

Its actually a fairly involved process -- but the Fusion 360 Sheet Metal workspace has tools to do this kind of pattern-making

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/supp...ils/f3a89711-8e4f-423d-96eb-2d73b9234d3e.html

OK, I ended up needing to rewrite the whole thing. The code is garbage but it works fine. Dropbox link: shroud.pl. You'll need to install the GD module. Also, it doesn't support command line arguments, you need to go in and set variables. This should be able to generate the shroud for a Saturn 1B if the proper values are input (I don't know what they are).
Here are a couple examples of its output; the second example shows the option to split one of the cutouts at the end of the shroud:

shroud_example1.jpg shroud_example2.jpg

This was a fun exercise in trig. :)

BTW: I have not verified this script by actually making any of these shrouds. I *think* the calculations are correct. If someone discovers otherwise, please let me know.

Last edited:
@neil_w thanks, I’m moving house right now but I’ll be sure to take a look once the dust settles...

Back