2.6 to 3.0 Transition?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DynaSoar

Reaction score
Anyone know where I can find a styrene 2.6" to 3.0" transition? With that and a piece of 3" tube and a saw and the Estes Phoenix I never much cared for, I can build a scale model of the Team Aries bird that was on the front of the 2000 and 2001 Aerotech catalogs.

seems to be the easiest solution to your problem is to make a paper transition.

Originally posted by Elapid
seems to be the easiest solution to your problem is to make a paper transition.

Not for an HPR bird. Even styrene I'd reinforce, for the use I have in mind. It needs to be structural because it'll be in part fin support.

You might want to check with Jerry Irvine at US Rockets. There is a USR kit that I've had my eye on called Stiletto that makes a transition by cutting the tube & using a couple of centering rings. An interesting technique to say the least. Maybe Jerry can chime in & explain how it's done...

There is always sandman. Or settle for semi-scale and go with a 3"-54mm from LOC.

for a fully-paper HPR bird in the latest issue of Sport Rocketry IIRC.

i sort of envisioned a paper cone over lite ply centering rings with an internal body tube for structural integrity.

maybe i think differently than most.

Originally posted by rstaff3
There is always sandman. Or settle for semi-scale and go with a 3"-54mm from LOC.

I really need it hollow but structural, so balsa won't hold up.

The Phoenix is the 2.6" -- can't change that. I guess if I could find a cheap conical 3" nose I could cut the top off. A SINLGE hole this time, not the 3-cluster nightmare I asked Sandman to drill for me.

I might just do this with some other equipment. I have everything for a basic meter long 3" HPR. I could get a 3" to 3.9" transition and build the MMT in that.

Last time I asked Jerry for something he wanted to sell me 10 of them -- no thanks.

Ack, it just struck me what the Ares looks like, sorry. I think that foam filled cardstock would work well.

How about a paper cone fiberglassed.

Pretty easy to do.

sandman

Originally posted by sandman
How about a paper cone fiberglassed.

Pretty easy to do.

sandman

I guess it's time I learned. I've got the stuff.

I use the Shroud calculator results and plug the radii into my CAD (cheap) program then print it out.

Just do a few with your compass until you get it really close, make a copy, then print it on heavier cardstock (100#).

Paper is cheap.

sandman

Originally posted by DynaSoar
Very excellent, thanks.
Now I need a better compass than the $2 school set I picked up.

VCP will print the templates for you, with handy tabs to help with the construction.

When making the fibreglassed paper transitionfor my Thunderbird 3, I found it was easier to put on the first layer of glass while the template was still flat. Paint the epoxy on to the flat shroud, lay the glass on, and assembly it while still wet. I used CA to tack the tabs into position. Worked a treat!

Back