Removing Clear topcoat from Vinyl Decals?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DynaSoar

Reaction score
Anyone have any advice on what to use to remove clear (acrylic, I think) top coat (Rustoleum "specialty") from clear vinyl decals? I sprayed over some clear/black checkerboard and it went all frosty.

3m Finesse-it II will remove most clear coats without damaging the decals. It's a scratch remover type micro fine material that doesn't remove much paint but will completely remove gloss or matte clears coats. I just used the material last night in just such a procedure;) Awhile back I used it to remove the clear coat from my OLD interceptor that had yellowed SOOO badly. brought the model back to High gloss white with yellow backround decals. I guess it does not remove silkscreened Decal Clear;)
Hope this helps.

Originally posted by Micromister
3m Finesse-it II will remove most clear coats without damaging the decals. It's a scratch remover type micro fine material that doesn't remove much paint but will completely remove gloss or matte clears coats. I just used the material last night in just such a procedure;) Awhile back I used it to remove the clear coat from my OLD interceptor that had yellowed SOOO badly. brought the model back to High gloss white with yellow backround decals. I guess it does not remove silkscreened Decal Clear;)
Hope this helps.

Hopefully I'll be able to find a small bottle at Lowe's or someplace. I don't expect to be having this problem any more.

Negative Dyna!
3m Finesse-it II is only sold in Automotive Paint supply store, Matto's, Harrington Automotive supply, in my area.
However, Don't be taken back by the 25.00/Qt price which is the smallest available size. This stuff is FANTASTIC.
I've take the worst orange peeled spary can applied painted finish and with some elbow grease and about an hours time, turned it into as smooth, and Hi gloss a finish as I've every seen on any New car. PS NO waxing required, but a coat of Nu-Finish makes the model as slick as Snake snot!. This stuff has a learning curve and I can't over state a little goes a long way with a damp cotton cloth. Buffs with a dry cotton to a gloss so shiney it's amazing. smooths out dust particals, and given enough time will remove that occasional dog hair;) It does remove a small amount of paint so if your working on a 2-color bird care must be taken to protect at the breaklines.
I can't rave about this stuff to much! If you want BEEEEautiful model finishes this stuff can correct almost any spray-can Oops, except major runs;D
It will even take minor scratches out of plastic, the Cinaroc in this photo is my original. about 30years old. it now shines like its brand new.

Back