miss fires

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carson

Reaction score
I had a problem today, trying to fire a rocket.
4 times after hitting the button, all I got was alittle smoke.
Then I put another motor in the rocket and batteries in the controller.
Was the problem the motor, the igniters or the batteries?
Since I now need more igniters, were do I get more or who makes good ones?

most likely there was a little clay in the nozzle of the mottor (i'm assuming your talking estes mottors), and so when the ignitors lit they didn't ignite the motor. the easiest way to fix this is to take a pin and scrape inside the nozzle, to remove the clay. don't damage the nozzle tho!
since you saw 'a little puff of smoke' your ignitor probobloy burnt, so the batteries were not the problem. the igniters wern't the problemb b/c they burn't, so it was the mottor... at least most likely:)

Most hobby stores that carry Estes kits carry extra igniters. If you can’t find any, you can always use other igniters. Like daveyfires, first fires, or crapperheads (copperheads) they are more expensive, per igniter. You could always make your own.

Hobby Lobby there in Carbondale should carry extra packs of Estes igniters. They come in a little plastic bag containing only 6, and are kind of pricey though. They should be hanging around the launch rods and pads. If not, and you are ever down here in Paducah, the HL here carries them. You might also try the little train shop in Marion (can't recall the name at the moment), he did carry a very limited selection of Estes rockets, and might have some.

As others have said, you might need to scrape up inside the nozzle on that motor. A small drill bit, stiff piece of wire, ect, will work, just be careful not to damage the nozzle.

Back