Beautiful day for a launch!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenobi65

Reaction score
We *finally* got some good weather here in Chicago! So, yesterday (5/16), I took a half-dozen rockets over to my in-laws, who live next to a big park. Once the soccer game cleared out, we had the field to ourselves. Here's what we launched:

1) Quest Totally Tubular -- This has quickly become my old reliable rocket. Great straight flight on an A8-3, and landed about 50' from the launch pad.

2) Estes Baby Bertha -- got some nice altitude on a B4-2. The laundry deployed beautifully, and she drifted a bit in the wind, but came down without a scratch.

3) Estes Viking -- really rocked on an A8-3 (don't think I'll ever even bother with a B or C in this one). Came down a bit fast on the streamer, and popped a fin off, but she's repairable.

4) Estes Bandito -- I really dislike this POS rocket, as it was a pain to build. Flew well, but the parachute didn't unfurl. Landed without much damage, but I may not fly her again (unless it's an A10-3T, just to make her go bye-bye). (Note: if you really want to know why I don't like this rocket, read my upcoming review of it on EMRR...)

5) Estes Monarch -- great flight on an A8-3. Had a nervous few moments as it took a while for the parachute to open (it had partially melted), but it landed harmlessly.

6) Clone Estes Citation Patriot -- we saved this one for last, as the sun began to set, and it almost didn't go off, due to 2 misfires. (I thought it was bad ignitors, but after the misfires, I swapped out engines, which seemed to do the trick). Third time was the charm -- a great flight, slowly rotating as she gained altitude. The parachute deployed perfectly, and I was able to catch her as she approached the ground.

So, 6 flights, 6 recoveries, one minor bit of damage. A great day.

Sounds like a good day to me! Glad to hear it went well, and everything is repairable or disposable...:D

Loopy

Originally posted by kenobi65
6) Clone Estes Citation Patriot -- we saved this one for last, as the sun began to set, and it almost didn't go off, due to 2 misfires. (I thought it was bad ignitors, but after the misfires, I swapped out engines, which seemed to do the trick). Third time was the charm -- a great flight, slowly rotating as she gained altitude. The parachute deployed perfectly, and I was able to catch her as she approached the ground.

So, 6 flights, 6 recoveries, one minor bit of damage. A great day.

If you still have the motor available, look in the nozzle end and see if there is any clay build up. I'm sure you made certain it wasn't an already burned motor. I have to say that only because I *have* tried to ignite a spend motor! :eek:

Sounds like a nice afternoon in the park.

Back