#$@% !!!!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did you try to get a blade down the inside of the shroud and gently pry it away from both the BT and wings? Perhaps something not so sharp so you minimize the chance of cutting through the shroud. The only other choice would be to add filler to the outside to build up the shroud, but that would probably add too much weight. I think someone suggested adding paper to the inside, but here you'd want to add it to the outside of the shroud to build up the thickness. That would add less weight than filler, but you would still have to fill the seams where the paper meets the soriginal shroud.
DT

Thanks a ton for all the replies everyone, especially Forecheck:D Sorry I didn't post this earlier, but I went ahead and tried mikeyd's method of putting strips of paper under it. I sanded it down until I thought it was sanded enough, but after painting I realized I had not sanded enough, so it looks kinda wack, but I guess it's not too bad for my first SR-71 and first level three after only building a E2X and a Quark. The gap is much smaller now though. Actually, Forecheck's idea about scoring the BT at 12 o'clock and 6 o'clock, then putting tape on the nose cone connection at 3o'clock and 9 o'clock, wound up helping over time. It didn't seem to help at first, but after leaving the nose cone in for a while it helped over time. (Thanks again Forecheck, for spending the better part of an evening with me over the forum trying to fix this) I went ahead and finished it up. I took pictures, but its on 35mm film, so I have to wait until I finish the roll and get it on CD to post pics. All these suggestions will make my next SR-71 perfect!;)

Originally posted by REK
Along these lines, does anyone have any scans of the fins for this thing, all four are missing. (Only if it is out of production, I don't want to violate any copyrights)
Bob

Unfortunately, the fins were die-cut in the balsa, so there are no patterns. Which fins do you need? Maybe I can trace the ones on my bird for you, and post a scan.

Originally posted by graylensman
Unfortunately, the fins were die-cut in the balsa, so there are no patterns. Which fins do you need? Maybe I can trace the ones on my bird for you, and post a scan.

I guess they'd be the rudders. The two upper fins that cant in at about 70 degrees and the two lower ones also. A photo would also work, I can estimate the scale and dimensions.
Bob

I'm still working on my Sr-71 but I had the same problem.
This is by far the most frustrating little rocket I have built so far.
Almost just tossed the whole shebang into the trash last weekend. I'm going to hobby Lobby with the 50% off coupon and get a couple more and keep trying until get I this thing right.
If you ask me this one should be a skill level 6.:D

I screwed up my SR-71 too. I don't understand, because about 10 years ago I built one and it came out perfectly. Oh well. Instead of buying another kit I called Estes. I had to order some other stuff and they gave me the replacement embossed paper body sections for free.
Call Christine at Estes 1-800-525-7561 X 216

She is really helpful and friendly.

Mark Schnell

Back