Piston, Baffle, or Wadding?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would you prefer a kit with a custom PCB?

• Yes ($15-20+)

• No ($10-15)

• Other

• Yes ($15-20+)

• No ($10-15)

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.
What 'kaos2' said, and it looks like this:

211736666_1f0caf9900_o.jpg
ok, it looks like dog barf. i was wondering why people were putting dog barf in there rockets

ok, it looks like dog barf. i was wondering why people were putting dog barf in there rockets

Well, you wouldn't want to use the hairball a cat coughed up, would you?

:rotflol:

Bill.jpg

"Cellulose insulation"? Sure, you can accept the official industry explanation of what this substance is, if you want; I'm sure that doing so will help you sleep better at night.

But if you are like many of us, and realize that officially-sanctioned lies just don't cut it anymore, then doing a little "research" will enable you to uncover the truth about this stuff... that it is, in fact, the desiccated remains of orally ejected canine stomach contents!

Be very careful about how you use this information, and be especially careful about sharing it with others. Make sure that you double- and triple-check the... wait, is that an unmarked black helicopter I see coming in low over the horizon just behind you?.... Look out!!! Its, its...

(the preceding text was supposedly written by) Mark \\

;)

Should have seen this 6 months ago. I had a great dane with a touchy stomach. I could have given you the lifetime supply AND I would have paid you to take it.

Should have seen this 6 months ago. I had a great dane with a touchy stomach. I could have given you the lifetime supply AND I would have paid you to take it.
Mastiffs with morning sickness? :surprised:

Scooby-Spew!! :lol:

"Row-row! Blecchhh!" :rotflol:

Mark \\.

Mastiffs with morning sickness? :surprised:

Scooby-Spew!! :lol:

"Row-row! Blecchhh!" :rotflol:

Mark \\.

I was going to let this die but then I noticed: Promote Whirled Peas

Let me tell you, a great dane CAN reach a pot of peas sitting on the back burner. The pot of peas becomes well nigh irresistable when it is treated with giant slabs of pork and enough butter to harden the Alaska pipeling. If the peas get in the way of the pork, that's their tough luck...and tough for the one dealing with the whirled peas, paisleyed pork, drawn butter, Creative Kibble, Alpo al Fresco and everything else that comes up on the carpet installed the previous week. That was also how we learned who stole the 2 dozen box of glazed donuts intended for the Methodist Women meeting...my stepson had gotten the blame.:surprised:

Even so, I miss that dog.:(

Definately an anti-zipper designed baffle for any rocket with motor ejection.

This configuration virtually guarantees 100% separation if the ejection charge goes off, and if the chute is attached to the shock cord near the eyebolt on the baffle, the NC/BT is blown clear and the chute is far less lickely to strip on any early or late deployment.

Bob Krech

All this talk of licking and stripping is making me feel kinda funny... like that time I had a headache and took some of Dad's funny blue aspirin... :lol::lol::lol:

Yall have a good one!!! :rotflol::rotflol:OL JR :)

PS. I PREFER baffles but most of my stuff uses barf... :)

I was going to let this die but then I noticed: Promote Whirled Peas

Let me tell you, a great dane CAN reach a pot of peas sitting on the back burner. The pot of peas becomes well nigh irresistable when it is treated with giant slabs of pork and enough butter to harden the Alaska pipeling. If the peas get in the way of the pork, that's their tough luck...and tough for the one dealing with the whirled peas, paisleyed pork, drawn butter, Creative Kibble, Alpo al Fresco and everything else that comes up on the carpet installed the previous week. That was also how we learned who stole the 2 dozen box of glazed donuts intended for the Methodist Women meeting...my stepson had gotten the blame.:surprised:

Even so, I miss that dog.:(

Better than missing your stepson... I suppose... (I'm a schoolbus driver so I'm not so sure... :) :lol::lol:

OL JR :)

Better than missing your stepson... I suppose... (I'm a schoolbus driver so I'm not so sure... :) :lol::lol:

OL JR :)

I suppose also but its just that: a supposition. Now I feel for the Aunt in Tom Sawyer who, on finding Tom is innocent and has already been punished, declared the punishment to be for whatever it was she did not catch him at.

As a kid, I reeled at the injustice of it all. As an adult, I reel at realizing that learning the whole truch would scare the *&^#$$@ out of me.

I just realized I never answered the original question. I like using the nomex when it can be justified by the expese of the rocket. Otherwise its mostly dog barf. I am still experimenting to see if I trust baffles.

I just blew a baffle "plumb out" of my Quest Harpoon with a C6-5. I'll stick with litter.

For LPR & MPR, I just use dog barf. However, for my HPR rockets, I only use Rouse-Tech CD-3's. I have used these systems since my very first HPR flight, with perfect reliability (keeping fingers crossed!). I have four of these systems now, and they have never failed. They are neat, clean, and give off almost no heat. In all of my flights, they have been 100% consistent & predictable. They hold a precise (and very small) amount of black powder, and the CO2 charges go off exactly the same every time I use them.

Many folks think they are only for high altitude use, but for me that is just an added benefit. I prefer the CD-3's for their reliability and consistency.

Here is an image of my Level 3 rocket's avionics bay, showing one of the CD-3's (for the drogue compartment):

level3ebay.jpg

If anyone is interested, the next posts I make on my L3 build thread will be videos of the CD-3 ground tests.

Cris

DB with a paper towel soaked in boric acid as a seal/semi-piston with a chute wrap (sometimes double - chute then lines/chute). Don't know if you'd call that a d-bag cause it's basically just folded.

I voted DB/wadding

Phil

A-E sized rockets = estes wadding
F and up = Nomex blanket

Back