Energia/Buran

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Silverleaf,
Here's a shot of one of the Start strap ons next to the current project's version (before more filling was done). If you look closely at the Start cone, you can see that the parachute pack still doesn't go quite far enough on the nosecone. This is after I added a piece of styrene and some filler. Also, those two conduits running between the parachute packs are straight lines. I sanded off the tops and added strip where they are supposed to flare out at the bottom of the upper parachute pack (is this too much information??!!).

I can shoot more pics if you'd like.
DT

Sweet !

Not too much information at all Drew, really, I'm interested in what you did to alter/fit this kit together, simply because I'd like to have the best looking model available.

Thanks for that link to, man..I'm drooling. lol

No problem. Of course the ultimate Energia/Buran kit was the RhoModels 1/144 one. There was one on ebay a few months ago and I half-heartedly bid on it, but lost. I think it sold for like $60 - $70! Argh, that's well under what it went for new. I understand Glenn at RealSpace Models has the molds and will release it eventually. It will be pricey, though. Had I gotten that one, I would have just vac-formed the whole sheebang!
DT

Silverleaf and all,
Just did a little math and how about this: A peanut scale Energia Buran! In 1/288, the Energia core diameter should be 1.05": the ST-10 (available from Totally Tubular and Semroc) is 1.04". The strap ons should be .053"; the BT-5 is .054". Semroc sells a cone for the ST-10, BC-1016, that is a close match for the Energia core cone. . . .
So, if you vac form the shuttle using the Start model as a mold, and vac form the cones, parachute packs and details on the strap ons using the Start ones as molds . . .
Seriously, I think this is very doable.
must not get distracted . . . .
DT

Drew,

What an excellent idea. I'm tempted to try something like this, but I really need to stay focused on my other projects.

Man the wheels are a turning..*clunk*..I think I just got a flat..*sigh*

Cheers,

Did a bit more work on the Energia core. Here is a shot of the orbiter attachment points and the launch lugs, which will be mostly hidden between two strap ons.
DT

Here is a close up of the rear attachment points. The wire comes from FineScale Modeler binders! I'm not sure of the exact size. The plastic parts are from the Estes shuttle kit. I used 5 min epoxy for this.
DT

And here is the Estes ET and SRB unit next to the Energia and a strap on.
I'm getting to the point when I'll need to paint. The strap ons need a bit of sanding and then primer. I have a little more work on the core at the back.

Drew,

Thats absolutely brilliant ! My goodness, you've raised the bar so far I can't even see it. 8)

QQ

Drew & other Buran aficionados-

Thought I'd let you in on this - I picked up a Buran patch last week from the 'Astronomy Now' store, for just $5 *including* shipping.

It's a nice patch (made in Taiwan, not CCCP though!)

https://spaceflightnow.com/store/patches/buran.html

...note to mods; I am not affilated with nor commissioned on this link in any way!

More work on the rear. Still need another round of filler and sanding. I don't know if I'll leave the engine bells on for flight; they might melt.
DT

Added balsa strips to the backs of the strap ons. These are needed to match the height of the styrene wraps at the front and rear of the core. Now waiting to prime.
Found a scrap piece of pine to carve for the master for the rear of Buran. Pine should hold up better than balsa for vacuum forming.
DT

Fabulous work there Drew, and about leaving the Bells on, what IF you were to coat them with a thin mylar/silver/steel coating. I'm beting you might be able to use a foil of some sort to help.

Otherwise, your right, I'd bet they melt.

Killer stuff my friend, 8)

R.S.,
The bells are from the Estes kit, just cut down a bit. What I will probably do is vacuum form a bunch of them and try various ways of coating them. I also would like to rig something to slip into the motor mount with the other two bells for display.
It looks like the temperature will be dropping again, so no painting in my immediate future. On to Buran.
DT

Oh man this is Awesome! 8)

dt, this is an amazing "rock"

I'll be waiting to see more of the construction pic's and then the finished product. :D

One of the few projects where I,ve wanted to view every pic in the thread.

I would like to get one of these Energia's someday, althought I don't know if I'm at this point of detail yet.

I guess there's something im me that wants to see this thing take off in real life.

Rock,

I'm hoping that when done Drew will have a detailed construction site on how he did everything. Your right, along with Sandman's Little Joe project, this is the only thread that I'm following like a lost child. lol

Drew is da' Man !

Yes, I will get to putting up a detailed build report somewhere.
I went to an art supply store at lunch today and bought a basic woodcarving set and some Sculpey. It's clay that can be baked in an oven and I did see it mentioned in a few places as being appropriate for vacuum forming masters. I'm going to tackle the Buran nose with this first. If it works, I should also be able to make new masters for the strap on parachute packs, since I have one unused vac formed copy of each part.
DT

Drew,

I'm hoping the clay works out for you. Very interested to hear what your experience is with it. 8)

Of course, between you, me and the rest of TRF..a possible Buran-Energia parts collection would really tickle my/our fancy. *weg*

In any case, I'm really looking forward to your updates.

Cheers,

Originally posted by dtomko
By the way, this site: https://www.k26.com/buran/
has just been updated with a bunch of interesting CG images.
DT

I checked out this site and it's very well done. I think I read everything on it.

Aside from enjoying the construction of your model, I find it very interesting to read about this rocket's past, present, and possible future ;)

That would be something to see this bird take off in its max configuration. :D

During a round of golf at Muirfield Village here in Ohio some 10 years ago, I had the priveledge to be paired with an engineer, and as the round progressed, we spoke in detail about Flight and Rocketry and its future.

As we took a break at the 9th, I spoke to him about my own experience with seeing an SR-71 Blackbird take off from close range at Beale AFB in California and seeing the Saturn V in 69 at the age of 6, he looked at me in shock and said in broken English " I've seen both of of them too !"

It came out that he was from Chicago, born in the Ukraine, and has personally seen the Energia-Buran, the Saturn V and a slew of other rockets launch. Turns out his father was American, and he had lived here for some 20 years, leading up to going to Russia prior to 1975.

He looked me square in the eye and said, " To this day, I can't help but feel the pounding on my chest as the Snowflake lifted off. The towers on either side of the orbiter literally shimmered with energy from the concussion." He had a tear in his eye.

So, when I mentioned about going to Florida for a weekend to play TPC @ Sawgrass and hopefully see the Shuttle launch, he told me he would love to see that. Two days later he called me and said, I'll see you in Florida. We met the day before and had dinner at a cheap Ramada Inn, then drove to the site the night before - didn't sleep a wink and watched her burn up the sky.

That launch puts him in rare company, having seen the Shuttle, Energia-Buran, and Saturn V in the same lifetime.

I'm not sure how many others can qualify for that elite club, BUT he left a lasting impression on me, and still think of him ( now deceased ) everytime I see the Shuttle, or talk about the Energia-Buran.

Thats why I adore Rocketry - being inspired by him, and Vern Estes.

Drew's work on the Energia-Buran makes me smile just as much.

Cheers,

R.S.,
That's great story! Pretty amaazing to have seen Saturn, Energia, and the shuttle.
I sculpted a nose from Sculpey and baked it this evening. I'm not all that happy with it. The Sculpey is very pliable and that makes it tricky to shape smooth, flat surfaces. After baking, I sanded a bit and it went pretty well, although I didn't get too far. The instructions say it sands well. More tomorrow.
DT

Drew,

Somewhere I have a picture of he and I at the Cape, and I've been tearing the place apart trying to find it, but no dice. *sniff*

As to the nosecone, I'm really thinking that Alumilite would be the way to go based soley on weight issues. Oh wait, your trying to make a master for a vaccu-form nose right ?..

Forget the alumilite mention then - sorry, I'm cross-eyed at the moment from detail work on the shuttle.

Cheers,

Yes, the nose is a master for vac forming. I'll have to give the Sculpey another shot. My first attempt is too bumpy and while it is sanding smooth, it's a lot of work. In the meantme, I plotted out the left rear of Buran. The wood is a scrap piece of pine shelving; it's 3/4 by 2." The 3/4" width is perfect for 1/2 the fuselage. Now on to carving and shaping. Those OMS pods are a bunch of awkward angles! If this works, I'll vac form the rear in two sides. I'll figure some way of attaching the rudder to cover the seam on top.
DT

Here's the left rear of Buran after the first night of carving and sanding. Still more work to be done. Have to be careful with the pine; it's harder than balsa but still soft, so it nicks pretty easily.
DT

Drew,

Coming along nicely, though I must admit, I admire your fortitude, pines some tough stuff to smooth.

*donates Mega sandpaper to Drew*

So far I'm pretty pleased with how it's going. The pine carves very easily and the parts I sanded are smoothing well. If worse comes to worst and there are nicks in the master, a little filler after vacuum forming will take care of them if they show up on the styrene. I'm probably going to use the pine for the nose as well; it's a lot easier to sand than the Sculpey.
DT

Making progress with the shaping. Here's a shot of the master test fitted to the shuttle main body. Now it's starting to look like Buran!
DT

Back