Rocket Challenge Impact

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LaneKG

Reaction score
Before 11/9/03 I estimate we at Southeast Alabama Rocketry Society were getting a few hits a month on www.sears572.com. Since 11/9/03 we have gotten 45 referrals from www.flyrockets.com. We have been contacted by five newcomers that I would attribute to Rocket Challenge and www.flyrockets.com. These newcomers are planning to attend our next launch this Saturday. With seven current members in our section this will be a huge turnout. So I would not expect these folks to instantly put in big orders to vendors. I think you would have to measure vendor impact over a year's period. I also believe this is an great opportunity to continue all means to advertise locally and invite new people to launches. I want to thank Mr. Uroda and the Save Rocketry Program, SEARS 572 is getting a welcome boost!
Thanks,

Greg Lane
SEARS 572
www.sears572.com

Anybody else feeling the impact?

I am not sure it is directly related to the Rocket Challenge, but this forum has gotten 23 new members since 11-10.......... Maybe these new members will tell us if they saw the shows and found us??????

I have gotten 1296 (as of this moment) referrals from www.flyrockets.com since 11/9. :D

Multiple people have signed on to our announcement list as well.

Nick

The challenge is what brought me here. I built rockets a long time ago, my son (who is 5) and I watched it over the weekend and he thought it was cool. So we are going to get a couple of small rockets and see what happens.

He thinks the Estes shuttle express ex2 is pretty cool, and it looks pretty simple to start with.

Welcome, Todpod! I also re-entered rocketry last summer with my 10 yr. old son. Took him to watch a local club launch. Built and flew a Big Bertha with him. Shazam! Suddenly remembered how much fun this was. The entourage keeps growing. First it was me and my son. Then we helped some of his friends build rockets. Now my 8 yr. old daughter is involved. Last weekend I had 4 kids with me at a club launch. I hardly got to fly my stuff because I was constantly helping them prep their rockets!

You and your son will have a blast. Take him to a club launch if you have any nearby (https://www.nar.org). Lots of fun because of the variety you get to see there.

todpod, the shuttle express looks pretty cool but we have never got the gliders to glide off the rocket, they just nose dive. and the wings come off the body, there isn't a good way to make that foam stick together.

keep looking around, you will find some awesome boost glider kits. hint: Quest Flat Cat, any of "Edmonds", Estes ARV Condor, Apogee SR-72 ...

enjoy!!

BluesRockS #657 here in Kentucky has gotten 75 hits from flyrockets.com....and we now have 4 new members...and a total of 5 new inquiries...

the KRA section #552 received 87 hits and at least 2-3 phone calls from prospective new members....

And I sent all 5 of those people here to join as I think TRF is the best place in the world in terms of both people willing to help people and just plain good experienced information....

Thanks for the heads up on the Shuttle Express, I will check out the others for sure.

I pretty sure there aren't any clubs in the general area, Pittsburgh and Erie would be the closest and they are a couple hours away. I am hoping to have three or four rockets ready to launch in the spring and a friend looking to do the same so maybe we can have a group launch to impress the little ones.

The funny thing was he really thought it was great when one of the last rockets they launched (the one painted like a cow) blew up on the pad.

Originally posted by todpod
I am hoping to have three or four rockets ready to launch in the spring and a friend looking to do the same so maybe we can have a group launch to impress the little ones.

Since you're an old-time rocketeer, you really oughta look at Fliskits (https://www.fliskits.com) for some of these once you start getting your building skills back. These really grabbed my attention as being most like the interesting kits you used to be able to get from the larger manufacturers. Jim Flis is a regular on this forum (in fact, I think he holds the post-count record) and would be able to answer any questions you'd have on building these.

As I have said in other threads that is what brought me here as well...

I have already purchased a Estes RTF kit (Tidal Wave) and a Level 1 Kit, Estes Alpha.

In addition one of my neighbors who used to do model rockets but doesnt anymore gave me about 20 C motors last night. So now I will see if that Tidal Wave will go to 600ft like it says on the package... :D

Originally posted by Rocketmanic
I am not sure it is directly related to the Rocket Challenge, but this forum has gotten 23 new members since 11-10.......... Maybe these new members will tell us if they saw the shows and found us??????

I was active in rocketry as a youth and at the invitation of a co-worker, we attended the Tripoli Dragon's Fire launch in September. The launch reignited an interest in me and we purchased several rocket kits the next day! We built one, but everyday life got in the way of launching it.

Then, I heard about the Rocket Challenge series and we watched each episode twice. I visited the www.FlyRockets.com site as a result of the show. There I found out about the NAR and Sport Rocketry magazine. My local hobby shop carries the magazine and I purchased the September/October issue. The article about the Dueces Wild mentioned this site.

I don't know if you'd call it a direct result of the shows, but...here I am!

Come to think of it, that is where I first found the link to this site as well...

Originally posted by r_swider
I don't know if you'd call it a direct result of the shows, but...here I am!

However you got here, we're glad to have you. If you have poked around a little on old postings, you will notice that this bunch of TRF people is the most helpful, the most experienced and well-informed, the most mature, the most handsome, the most . . .

Well, you get the idea.

Originally posted by DNoal
As I have said in other threads that is what brought me here as well...

I have already purchased a Estes RTF kit (Tidal Wave) and a Level 1 Kit, Estes Alpha.

In addition one of my neighbors who used to do model rockets but doesnt anymore gave me about 20 C motors last night. So now I will see if that Tidal Wave will go to 600ft like it says on the package... :D

I had (past tense!;) ) a Code Red rocket which is the same as the tidal wave. It flew great on C6's.:)

Scott

Originally posted by powderburner
However you got here, we're glad to have you. If you have poked around a little on old postings, you will notice that this bunch of TRF people is the most helpful, the most experienced and well-informed, the most mature, the most handsome, the most . . .

Well, you get the idea.

Thanks, I'm glad I found it. I've only been lurking around for a few days, but this is a great message board!

A few years ago I spent some time in the rec.models.rockets newsgroup...all the back-biting and arguments really turned me off to the group...

Originally posted by r_swider
A few years ago I spent some time in the rec.models.rockets newsgroup...all the back-biting and arguments really turned me off to the group...

Nope, nada, zilch...none of that around here. Just a bunch of happy rocketeers talking about....rockets!

Except for that Eugene...why, he's just a little no-good bottom feeder who raises trouble wherever...err....oops...wrong forum.

Move along, nothing to see here! ;)

Welcome all you new guys to the Rocketry Forum.... We are glad you are here.

I'd tell you to jump right in, but you already have. Whatever your skill level you will find a lot of guys here that are able to answer your questions.

This is more than a rocketry forum, this is a rocketry community.

Flaming, never, lively discussions, sometimes but they are well controlled and the moderators always steer the conversations back to rocketry. I mean, what are we here for??

So, again, a big welcome.

Originally posted by Nighteagle2001
Rcoket Challenge is what brought me to the fourm and back into rocketry....

So, you care to divulge your spending habits? :D If you *really* want to get back into rocketry at a non-retail price, look out for people announcing HobbyLobby sales. They have HUGE clearance sales. If you're lucky and have one nearby, you mind find some Estes or Aerotech items at 40-50% off. Also, Michael's Arts & Crafts centers typically have a 50% off coupon in their newspaper ads.

One word of caution - if you're married, make sure you pick your place in the house/apartment and stake your claim. It's gonna fill up quick with all sorts of unbuilt kits, scrap parts, tools, glues, etc. Just thought I'd warn you in advance! ;) :D

Back