Paint for Airbrushing Rockets?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flying_silverad

Reaction score
I have been spying an airbrush in “Michaels” which will be a great deal with one of their 50% of coupons. My questions are:
• Can I paint rockets with a water based paint and then clear coat with say a Krylon Clear Coat?
• Has anyone used acrylic paint from a tube (thinned I am sure) through an air brush

I was wondering what type of paint everyone uses for airbrushes also.
I know the quality can't be much, but Harbor Freight Tools has an airbrush kit for $4.95.
For that price I'm afraid I'm going to have to give it a whirl if the paint is reasonable.
Vance in AK.

The beauty of the Airbrush is one can spary anything thinned to pass through the needle. Water base, alkid emanels, acrylics, Artist oils, enamels and lacquers.
There is one note of caution, If you have used or are using your airbrush for oil based paint, do not switch to water base paints, the oils left in the gun (you can not remove these oils either) can and will cause fish-eye and other blemishes in the water based paints, I keep two airbrushes one for oils and one for water base painting.
Every single Clear coat on the market is a acrylic lacquer. You may apply them over either water based for enamel paints, in LIGHT coats but be warned they will yellow in a fairly short time and Craze the heck out of some emanels. If you want a safe protective coating try Krylon Workable Fixatif #1306 comes in the same 11oz spray cans an the nasty crystal clear but will not yellow as fast, is "water resistant " and prevents smudging, with a semi gloss finish. this is the best base coat over homemake water slide decals also:)
Hope this helps.

Back