29mm motor retention...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stones

Reaction score
I'm about to do an upscale of the Phoenix and will be using LOC BT, NC, and CR's. I'm going for the t-nut and some sort of clip motor retention method. I will be using RMS and SU motors. 29mm up to and including H impulse.
Here's a few questions I have for the masses....
Is there a specific rule of thumb on how far to space the t-nuts(#6) from the center of the MMT?
I will more than likely make seperate clips for each of the RMS and SU applications.
Should I NOT install a motor block in the MMT?

tia...

Stones,
On all of my NON Aerotech kits and scratch builds, I do not install an engine block. RMS, of course, have the thrust ring built in to the aft closure. On single use, I make a ring on the aft end with masking tape, built up enough to equal the outer diameter of the mmt tube. For retention, I use #8-32 Tnuts, mounted as close to the mmt tube as I can get them. For clips, I use utility hooks. They are easy to shape to what ever you need, and hold very well.

That pic I posted shows the wrong hook! I don't know where I got those from (they might belong to the wife). The one shown, has a knock out for using larger screws. The ones I use, look identical, but don't have the knock out on them. I'd be afraid the knock out would break loose on ejection.

Hint - fill the t-nut or blind nut with Vaseline to protect the threads from epoxy before you glue them in place.

I used three #6 blind nuts on my 29mm PML Explorer - see photo attached.

I have found that you can do a lot with coat hangers. I use them alot for motor clips. I have used them in many different fashions. I do a flat U shaped one that was described I think in Sport Rocketry for min-diameter rockets where you tape it on.

The wire from hangers is easy to bend and cut but is still strong, I used it on my L1 rocket.

Scott

Back