First fires

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil

Reaction score
Can I use a first fire for a 2 motor cluster? yeah, duh, good joke. 2 first fires, not one.

you could....and you could use copperheads too

No just kidding Get Doug to hook you up with some magneltines. What are you clustering?

Neil,

Be sure to use First Fire Jr's...they are much smaller in diameter and fit 24 - 29mm reloads. The regular First Fire Igniters are made for HPR and are too large to fit through the nozzle of most hobby motors.

Carl

yep, I got the first fire/first fire juniour thing. I will ask doug about the magnelites. "doug, can I buy, like, maybe 10000000 magnelites off of you?" I wonder if he would trade....

By the way, I have no idea of what I would be clustering. Proabably some 29MM SU econojets or the like. those come in nice little packs.

Neil, buy as many wires as you want from www.Rocketflite.com have them ship them to me, and I'll dip them for you. If they don't arive in time, I will give you some of my pre-made ones. A few A3-4T'S should cover the pyrogen used.

those first fire jr's should work very well also .
I 've used quite a few and have yet to have one fail.
I don't like the price tho

Now THERES a deal!!!!! my dad will not dip them or let me dip them because of the acetone. I already suggested doing it outside on a blustery day standing upwind of the acetone wearing a ventilator, but still no luck.:rolleyes: How do you do it? I think my dad will be OK with that deal, I will give him an Email, and then we might order some to you. where would we pick them up? CMASS? Thanks!!

If your wires do not arive in time for the 1st, I will give you a dozen igniters to get started with, and keep a dozen wires from the batch you order. I will give you the rest at the last CMASS launch (Nov 22nd).

Acetone is nasty stuff. Very volitile. An open bottle can ignite a few feet away from any sparks or flame. And don't smoke while using it... (I seen people smoke while loading rocket motors... a very BAD idea) . . . I have used it as lighting fluid before (not for food, burning branches), you don't have to get that close with the match to get it going.

You don't want this stuff igniting in your hand... The stuff puts off so much heat (5000 degrees) and light radiation... you will be lucky to survive... it will act like fast burning Napalm. When testing the 12" leads, holding it with the igniter cord so my hands are safely away, I still get flash burns... which is sunburn from the bright burst of light.

yeah man people do some stupid stuff. (not you Doug...but some people) I have never had a problem with aecetone and the amount in the pyrogen bottle is pretty small

Anyway good luck Neil

I have heard that alot of seccsesful clusters painted the top of the grains with pyrogen and that got them going quickly

Originally posted by n3tjm
Acetone is nasty stuff. Very volitile. An open bottle can ignite a few feet away from any sparks or flame. And don't smoke while using it... (I seen people smoke while loading rocket motors... a very BAD idea) . . .

LOL, smokers are amazing. Note: I'm not anti-smoking. But how dense can you get? "Let me smoke around flammable stuff." Yesterday when I was getting gas at a local station I started smelling cigarette smoke. The guy opposite me was refueling his car with the car running and a cigarette in his refueling hand. I started praying to the rocket gods, "please, just let me launch some more rockets." :)

wow Doug I just read your edited post and that is very interesting. I knew that stuff burned brightly but not that bright

I would guess that the magnesium in it has something to ddo with it.....that is if it has magnesium

My dad said something about brain damage from acetone. is this true? Smoking is bad enough for you, but smoking at a gas station or around rocket motors..... you will not even have to dig your own grave, the explosion will do it for you! talk about dumb. They should have a rule about smoking at the launch area. You might as well say "well, these explosives are not THAT flammable, so I might as well just see if a cigarrete is enough to light this R motor!" I am sure nothing of the sort will happen with my dad (He is non-smoking and very saftey-concuous.), even if I do talk him into Pyrogen mixing.

I am not worry about brain damage, unless you are deliberatly sniffin it, or using it in a small, unventelated room. There are concerns that it can cause cancer, so skin exposure should be kept at a minimum.

Neil,

as far as acetone goes, it is indeed moderately dangerous stuff.

if you want to find out everything about any chemical, look for the MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet). for example, google for "acetone+MSDS". take a look, it's eye-opening at the least.

does your mom wear fingernail polish? does she use polish remover? that's acetone! so your dad doesn't have a leg to stand on there. the difference here is women pay $4 an ounce for it because it comes in little bottles, and men buy it for $9 a gallon at the hardware store.

but don't get it on your skin because it will defat the cells, soak through the skin in to your blood stream, and make your liver and kidneys work overtime. and don't breathe it, same reason - gets in to the blood.

again, industrial exposure-wise, ask the lady at the fingernail shop what she does to avoid contact and breathing.

you and your dad do something similar.

and don't forget to have fun!

OK, the ol computer is up and running again. Pretty good joke on the acetone! My dad does not want to use acetone if there is any alternative to it, so it looks as though it will be doug dipping the igitors. I suppose there is nothing wroing with that, but it would be nice to do it on our own so we can learn how, and just gt the sense of it. Oh well, we will still get the ignitors. sometime. who knows when.

Back