New computer help

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gerbs4me

Reaction score
ok guys, I need your help
I have a few questions, I have a Compaq computer, and theres nowhere to plug in my joystick, theres plenty of USB ports on the back of the computer, but nowhere to plug in the joystick, should I get a joystick with a USB port?
and I kept the old speakers from the old computer, but there's no sound. I've tried to tinker with it but still no sound, should I get new speakers too, that are combatible with this computer? there are three plug ins on the back of the computer, one has a microphone on it, one has a circle and it says out, the other has a circle and says in, I've plugged the speakers in all three of them and it doesn't work, plez help me, it is greatly appreciated.

Gerbs...

The plug with the "OUT" should be for your speakers and it should work with your old ones. Make sure the old speakers have power and are turned on, then check your Multimedia settings in Windows, making sure the volume control is not turned down or muted. Also, check the input volume controls for Line In, CD Audio, Midi and Wave to make sure they are not muted or turned down.

I am surprised you do not have a game port on the PC, but if it is a new Compaq, they cut back on some features so a USB Joystick will be necessary. You could also probably by just a gameport card, I have one myself, but that would be about as much as a new joystick anyway.

Carl

gerbs, does the computer have a serial port?the one on mine is not labeled as a "game" port..but I think it's the same thing

Originally posted by stymye
gerbs, does the computer have a serial port?the one on mine is not labeled as a "game" port..but I think it's the same thing

Serial port should be 9 pins. Game ports used to be 15 pins.

Al

Serial Ports are being phased out... stinks if you are into electronics, because that is one way to attach experiments to a computer. My suggestion is to buy a digital USB joystick. Since it uses the faster USB ports, the joystick has better and faster handeling and response then using the slow 8 bit serial port.

Also, check the back of your sound card... sometimes they have a serial port/game port on them. If the connector is the wrong type, simply buy an adapter for it. But then again.. your soundcard is most likely built into the motherboard... so this is unlikely.

or you could simply buy a mac and use bluetooth joystick

Thanx guys so much for the help, I've got sound but its really low, for example when I'm running Flight Simulator 2002 I can barely hear the engine. I will buy a USB joystick, maybe Wally World might have one.

Back