L1 Kit Recommendation

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcsalem

Reaction score
Hi there,

What H motor capable kits do you like?

I'm looking for something that I can fly on F & G motors and also do my L1 certification on. [One reason I want to fly H motors is to use Redline reloads (H165R or H268R).]

Here are some other things I'd like:
- Sturdy (I want to reuse it a bunch)
- Short (under 42" w/o optional payload section would be great)
- 29mm or 38mm motor mount
- No fiberglassing

Let me know which kits you've built and enjoyed!

Thanks!

-- Jim

Binder THUG

Short - 33 inches
Sturdy - I have flown mine over 20 times
Comes in either 29 mm or 38 mm
No payload bay, but I added one to mine between the fins
No fiberglass needed

Scratch build one...I did. It was easy...just a lot more epoxy.

Use free parts.

sandman

Art Applewhite 29 or 38 MM saucer. Video on his site of L1 launches.

I recommend the PML kit Excaliber. Its the kit that I used and it flys real well. Good luck picking one.

I'm using a Public Missiles Small Endeavour. Good on G's, and pretty much all the H's. I'm planning on certing with an H165 when I get the time and money.

Loopy

Originally posted by jcsalem
Hi there,

What H motor capable kits do you like?

I'm looking for something that I can fly on F & G motors and also do my L1 certification on. [One reason I want to fly H motors is to use Redline reloads (H165R or H268R).]

Here are some other things I'd like:
- Sturdy (I want to reuse it a bunch)
- Short (under 42" w/o optional payload section would be great)
- 29mm or 38mm motor mount
- No fiberglassing

Let me know which kits you've built and enjoyed!

Thanks!

-- Jim

Jim:

Lots of choices out there. The Thug will work for what you want.

Another choice is the Public Enemy 4" Fat Boy. I had a 29mm one made up specifically to burn H128's and H165's in. Very stable and nice flyer. I did add 5oz of nose weight to it.

Another possiblity would be the 4" LOC or Public Enemy V2 kit. Both are 38mm MMT and about 40" tall.

Any reason for the 42" lenght? Just slightly longer than that is the LOC IV. New ones have a 38mm MMT and fin tabs to the motor mount tube. Seen a bunch used for L1 certs.

Al;)

I would recommend a Aerotech Sumo which can fly on F50 or 52's through "H" 128w, 165R, 238T.

Easy to build, short and fat!

Lightweight 4" diameter kit. LOC IV or EZI-65 (with adapter) or similar kit from another manufacturer. If you choose a Sumo, leave out the baffle and motor hook or the H motors won't fit.

You can go down to a 3" rocket but it will go higher and you may need to wait for better weather conditions.

THe H's should still fit in the Sumo with the motor hook, since the hook doesn't go into the motor tube at all. I agree with leaving out the baffle, and also recommend leaving out the piston as well. Use the coupler from the piston assembly as a reinforcement on the aft end of the body tube after the motor mount is installed.

Loopy

This could turn in to one of those never ending posts. There are just so many options and everyone has an opinion each of them.

Everything people have seen listed so far are all good and valid choices and yet there are many more that have not been mentioned. I will add one more that I like and then leave it alone. The BSD Horizon, this kit was designed with L1 in mind and the instructions are detailed beyond anything else I have seen.

My best advice is look at all of the options research the different kits available but do not leave out the option of designing your own rocket either. Just have fun with it when you find the right option you will know.

Good luck on choosing I found the researching and planning for the Level 1 is as fun as actually doing it.

Enjoy
Scott Pearson

Jim,

Use the Forum's "search" function for several discussions of L1 recommendations.

JCSalem, did I see you at the last CMASS launch? Going to the next one? You can not go wrong with the EZI-65... I have flown mine on G54's all the way up to I161's. Honestly, I LOVE flying my EZI with H123's... I have a I205 in it right now :) Sumo is also a nice bird if you don't mind the 29mm limit.

Click on the picture.

Check out www.bsdrocketry.com

Either of the Diablo's would work fine, would just depend if you wanted the 3" or 4" version.

The 3" Sprint would work great and fly on your G motors well also, however this one is a bit longer than what you were wanting.

The 3" Horizon would work great also, and again a nice flier on the G motors.

The 4" Horizon would be optimal but a little over your requested length at 51".

As far as durable, I've got 4 of their kits built and have beat up a couple of them and they come right back.....

I have to agree with Jason V. about the BSD kits. The 4" Horizon would be my choice - simple design, sturdy construction, easy-to-follow instructions with 38mm motor mount and 29mm adapter. The Horizon also has a 10" payload bay that can be adapted for electronics/dual recovery if you choose.

Back