Pencil shows through paint?! HELP!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eugenefl

Reaction score
Greetings all. I've gotten myself into a bind here. I'm in the middle of painting a rocket with a light color. Early on in the build I marked each fin set somewhere in the middle with a pencil mark. The problem I am encountering now is that despite numerous coats of paint, the pencil marking is still showing through. Am I in it for the long haul with multiple coats 'til it's gone or is there a way to avoid tons of paint? I am trying to be creative here and I'm sure I could figure this one out, but I'm trying to learn by someone else's experience.

Thanks in advance. (Oh please don't tell me that I'll have to sand it all off! D'oh!)

Sheesh...this is a no-brainer. Anyone had this happen before?

eugene,

I've run into this myself...a long time ago!

I wound up putting a pinstripe over the line after the rocket was painted.

From then on I was much more careful with my pencil lines.

sandman

Eugene,

You might try to sand the area, prime with KILZ primer and repaint. No matter how many coats of paing you put on it without sealing the area the mark will continue to show through.

And you are not going to like it when I tell you that I think you're gonna hafta sand it off.

Plan B: keep existing color coats, sand lightly, spray with KilZ, or automotive or some other primer, sand lightly and start painting again.

I can understand why Bic pen ink comes through the paint (don't ask how many times I did THAT before I learned and quit). But I don't get why pencil lead also comes through. I usually do the best I can to erase and/or sand lightly to remove all traces of any kind of marks after the fins are glued on.

If you've got several coats of paint on the fin you'll have to sand down to the mark and even further to remove it. Rough up the area and KILZ it. No use making it any harder than it has to be.

I agree with Swimmer. KILZ is a little on the heavy side but it'll cover up just about anything.

Paul

Eugene

if the pencil line shows thru the primer coat you might want to try a better brand of primer .!.....
I almost always have pencil lines left on the body tube .but I've never seen a situation where the primer didn't cover it. I usually use krylon brown or grey primer
Kilz will definately cover it (and than some) but any affordable primer should do the job (and usually at 1/2 the cost of Kilz)

than, only once all the lines ....and any blemishes are gone ... it's ready to apply the actual paint.

how to fix it , I agree with the masses .sand it, prime it ,repaint

Thanks for all of the replies. I suppose the correction process won't be all that difficult. A pain in the you know where, but not that difficult nonetheless. Additionally, knowing someone else has been there makes it less painful. :D

Back