Runs On Clear Coat

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muskaman

Reaction score
Hi, I was clearcoating my rocket with plastikote's "clear acrylic" and it started to run in one area.

I was wondering if there would be noticible visibly if I were to sand the run only and spray over it with more clear coat. I don't want to try this and then find out that it isn't working. Thanks in advance:)

Try this...carefully!

Let it dry for about a week or more...really a week! You want it to get really cured.

The get some wet/dry sandpaper, the black stuff, in 600 or 1,000 grit.

If it kinda "gums up into little "rolls" of paint...stop...wait a few more days 'cause the paint isn't cured yet!

Carefully and "gently" wet sand it until the run is gone. Keep the paper wet and wipe the area every few strokes with a clean paper towel to check it...don't sand all the way through the clear!

Then a very light coat of clear again...not so heavy this time!

Or just leave it...you are probably the only one that will ever notice it.

Can you tell that I screwed up a few paint jobs in the past?

sandman

Thanks I'll try that.:) Its first flight is to be this weekend so i'll have to fix it after that. Here's a pic:

Intruder.jpg

My first high power kit, a PML Intruder. Thanks again!

Thanky:D

Too bad I'm too young to cert.:( Till then I'll just have to fly with other certified people.

I don't see it....and no one else will either unless you point it out.

Use what you've learned on the Intruder and apply the experience on your next project. After a few flights wear and tear will maybe make you want to repaint anyway. Just call it character! I have a few rockets with a lot of character.

This is a beautiful rocket and I'll bet your next project will be even better..

The best anti-run tool I've found is a Can Gun.
the plastic gun pops on to almost any major brand o spray paint
it allows so much more control over the spray pattern and thickness of paint I never paint without it ..it doesnt require cleaning and I've used the same one for 2 yrs now
and for the same price as one can of paint ,it's been worth every penny!

Stymye,

I, like you, use my Can Gun every time I paint or clear coat. Another benefit to me is it stops finger fatigue. Before I started using it my finger would eventually slide over the end of the spray nozzle and get into the paint fan causing the paint to splatter. The Can Gun stopped this problem.

I've looked around for one of those but haven't found one yet. From what you and others have said it sounds great....and thanks for the encouraging words.:)

Wal-Mart has them for about $1.50.

Over by the spray paints...get two...I'm always misplacing mine!

The best thing about them...to me...is you dont get paint on your index finger.

sandman

Back