Need A Nose Job

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdeane

Reaction score
Any ideas how to make a nose cone from things around the house?
I got things in mind and got some supplys from work but Im a first timer.
I lost my payload section and nose cone but I still have the engine section(chute,fins,ect...)guste need the cone now.

Originally posted by cdeane
Any ideas how to make a nose cone from things around the house?
I got things in mind and got some supplys from work but Im a first timer.
I lost my payload section and nose cone but I still have the engine section(chute,fins,ect...)guste need the cone now.

If you want to make a balsa cone, and have a hand drill and a vise, there are descriptions of this procedure buried here in TRF.

Other possibilities are:

cardboard/posterboard - get a shroud calculator (also posted on TRF); with this you can make anything from a simple cone to more complex shapes using multiple transition sections

craft foam balls, cones, eggs are easy to work with

look for plastic lids that look like nose cones - soon you won't be able to walk through a store without seeing cones everywhere :)

BTW, welcome onboard!

I'm going to try to make a nosecone from foam.

I got a mailing tube from the office supply store. This is a 3"x36" tube that costs about $2. I saw some blue home insulation foam in a dumpster at a new home construction site... so the foam was free. I have it glued up into a 4"x4"x16" block.

Now I just need to come up with a reliable (and free) way to turn it for shaping. I may try to create a drill powered lathe from the misc. hardware I have laying about.

Back