Bad Ideas...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveyfire

Piled Higher and Deeper
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
My story for the day...

I'm pacing the floor back and forth. I wanna build something good for BALLS next year. I then realize that I have 2 sections of 10.25" Quik Tube sitting in the garage, originally destined to become a V2. So I whip out Rockets of the World and thumb through it, to come upon one of my favorite rockets... the Nike Smoke. WHAM the two ideas came together and I formulated a plan...

What do you guys think?

Have I completely lost it this time? Or should I go for it? Hmmm... I've also discovered some 1/2" plywood sitting in the garage...

I love the Nike Smoke! Even though I have never built anything over 4" in diameter, I say go for it (easy for me to say).

I have a Quest Nike Smoke, a Cosmodrome Nike Smoke and I have my eye on something larger like the Performance Rocketry 5.5" or the Smokin' Rockets 7.5" Nike Smoke at some point in the future...

Bruce,

I didn't know you had a Cosmodrome Nike?? Have you built it yet? I picked up one a few weeks back. I'm trying to figure out how to protect the balsa nose cone.

Eric

Eric - I am still working on the fins trying to get the correct airfoil (I am on my second set). I may even try a "built up" fin to get the correct knife edge.

For the nose cone I simply soaked it with thin CA, sanded, filled with Elmer's Wood Filler, sanded again and primed. It looks good, but I don't know how strong it will be.

Eric,
I was turned on to using 20 minute finishing epoxy for balsa cones by somebody on this forum. It must be finishing epoxy. Apparently finishing epoxy is much thinner than other epoxies, even though they may have a longer cure time. Don't try 30 minute or two hour epoxy, I did and it didn't work out so well. Finish epoxy can be found at hobby stores.
All that you do is insert the screw eye, hang the cone over a piece of paper to catch drips, and brush on the epoxy with a disposable brush. Foam brushes are OK, but tend to soak up a lot of epoxy, which is basically wasted. The thin finish epoxy will form a hard protective layer on the cone, and make it very smooth to boot. (Two coats might be necessary.)

Back