Removing Masking Residue

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

astrowolf67

Reaction score
OK, it was a bad day for me to paint. I was laying the final color coat on the Deuce, and it started raining. After I got enough coats on to hide the bad spots, and let it dry, I started removing my mask. It left a lot of sticky residue, plus pulled paint off all the way down to the bare rocket in a few spots. What is the best way to remove the residue? I can handle patching the paint spots, but what can I use to remove the residue? I've still got to clear coat when everything is fixed. This is the first time I've encountered this problem, so I'm open to any suggestions.

Sounds to me like you were using "cheap" masking tape.

I started using some more expensive stuff years ago and now only use the cheap stuff to wrap nose cone shoulders and engines for a tighter fit.

Don't know what to tell you to use for now but I think...not sure...Goo Gone works...but I'm not sure.

In the future after you buy better tape, do this.

Before you put the tape on the model put it on your forarm first and pull it off. The oils from your sking kinda "unstickyfy" the tape so it's not quite so sticky...but sticky enough.

This method keeps the tape from pulling the paint off.

Also when you remove the tape pull it across itself tangent to the rockets surface, not 90 degrees from the surface. This also minimizes pulling the paint off.

I've messed up a lot of paint jobs...I still do!

sandman

I've used alcohol to remove the resedue. And, if you are using Krylon paints, then you can use mineral spirits to clean it off as well. The mineral spirits won't take off the laquer paints. But, be sure not to try it with enamel, or you'll take of the paint.

Another good masking material that doesn't leave a resedue is Frisket paper. You have to cut it to the shape you need, but it really works well.

Regards,
Todd

Goo Gone should work, but be sure to get rid of the GooGone residue b-4 clearcoating. (it's kinda oily) Wipe down with denatured alcohol or mild solvent after the paint has dried real well.

And, like Sandman said, don't use tape that doesn't start with 3M.

I prefer using alcohols wipes (70% isopropyl alcohol) to remove masking tape residue. It is less agressive than denatured alcohol but it will still ruin some acrylic paint finishes. When removing masking tape I pull it off at a low angle to the surface after warming it with a hair dryer.

I think Parafilm M works better than masking tape and it doesn't leave a residue, see:

https://www.2spi.com/catalog/supp/supp4b.shtml

look at the section under Masking applications.

Bruce S. Levison, NAR #69055

Well, so far, I've tried mineral spirits, alcohol, Goo Gone, Windex, Orange Cleaner, and fingernail polish remover. Nothing seems to be working which is leading me to believe the base coat wasn't completely dry when I masked it. I'll let the top coat dry for a couple of days, and try masking it off, and see if good old sand paper can get the residue off. I didn't want to have to go that route, but I guess it's the only option left. I've got to sand and repaint the areas where the paint pulled off anyway. Thanks for all the suggestions so far guys.

Avon Skin-so-soft works great. I used it on my V-2, and it almost made me forget the awful paint job I did.

Of course, the mother in law is an avon rep, so that makes it easier.

Astrowolf67:
remove your current problem with isopropyl alcohol, Goo-Gone is good but depending on the type of paint and how fresh a paint job it is could also remove some of your paint.
In the future, you may want to invest a couple buck in a couple masking alternatives. 3m- fine line low tac tape, for strip lines and large area masking. Use the 1/4" or 1/2" fine line at the edge of your pattern, then overlay the fine-line with plain old masking tape and paper to fill the large areas. Parafilm-M is outstanding for fine detail, does take some practice and experience to use. Don't forget to burnish down all the edges just before applying the paint. I usually seal the edges with a light clear coat between color coats to prevent wicking under the tape.

Back