"fat" K550 W

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is a common characteristic of the K550. The 54mm motor has a Meduasa nozzle, meaning it has six small nozzles surrounding a larger center nozzle. I am not sure if all the six small nozzles are open on the K550... but if that is the case... the energy of the is split between the nozzles, creating a fat, short flame rather than a skiny long one.

I relaize that, but point me to another instance where a flame front that "fat" has been documented ? I've looked and looked and haven't seen anything close..

Nick

I relaize that, but point me to another instance where a flame front that "fat" has been documented ? I've looked and looked and haven't seen anything close..

Nick

The atmospheric pressure probably plays a role in this too. In that particular picture, you have lots of clouds, indicating what's most likely a low pressure zone. The low pressure probably caused the flame to spread out a bit. Or maybe I'm just BSing, and it's just the angle of the shot.

On K550Ws, I believe they have four nozzle ports open... I know it's all seven on the K1100T :D

Was it a heavy rocket? If it was moving quickly, the flame would look more stretched out. If it was slow, it would lok like that picture.

Back