Gemini Titan

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stymye

Reaction score
I started on the estes bt-70 Gemini Titan this morning

I have the motor section done and added some paint for detail
this model is like the Deuces Wild because it has 2) 18mm motors in a canted configuration..tho not as pronounced as the Deuce

It shouldn't take long now to finish..I have the hardest part done

the control rods are 1/16" evergreen rod
the small motors are .100" evergreen rod with launch lug for the motors

the shrouds are 110# cardstock
the whole assembly slides into a BT-70 tube

more pics as I progress

NICE!

Did you make your centering rings or have someone make them for you? Balsa Machining?

thanks fore check

I made the centering rings with .080 mattboard and an Olfa compass cutter
I got both items from hobby lobby

the templates for the rings with the proper offset can be downloaded from Ye olde rocket shoppe from kurts decals and templates

https://www.rocketshoppe.com/estes_decals.htm

this pic is a little clearer and shows the canted motor tubes

Looks very cool Stymye

I've always wanted one of these...Now even more.

Keep on building...I can't wait to see your progress.

Good job Stymye... I just can't get past the clear platic fins...maybe it's just me...now

About the Little Joe II...:(

I'm waiting.:rolleyes:

Anytime soon?

sandman

sandman
you got a point there ...Heh !

I feel like I can tackle it now

Stymye,

Did you ever get any further with this? I'm interested in doing one myself. It appears FlisKits now sells the motor mount with properly canted centering rings, which alleviates some of the difficulty in that step.

Its making the fins that has me a bit concerned and I was wondering what you used.

Originally posted by Gus
Stymye,

Did you ever get any further with this? I'm interested in doing one myself. It appears FlisKits now sells the motor mount with properly canted centering rings, which alleviates some of the difficulty in that step.

Its making the fins that has me a bit concerned and I was wondering what you used.

NOTE: I'll be honest, I hadn't even really looked at it and had forgotten that these motors had a cant in the Gemini. The engine mount kit that FlisKits offers does *not* provide this cant in the motors.

I will fix that with an alternate (or redesign) engine mount kit with this specific spacing and cant. At this time, the current EMK2-18-70 provides two parallel motors spaced about 3/8" apart.

dang! :)

Jim,

Sorry, I thought the EMK2-18-70's were canted. (Have I caught the 'King of Cants' with his Cants down? ;) )

But that raises an interesting question, why do you think they were canted in the original Estes design?

I can't imagine it was to improve flight performance as the canting would have (marginally) decreased altitude. It wasn't for scale purposes since the real engines were gimballed. Maybe it was to allow a little extra room for the shrouds?

It was certainly an unusual design element for Estes, so I'd be interested if anyone knows the answer.

I would have to say that it had something to do with fitting the shrouds...

I'm going to look into it some more to see if it is worth duplicating that canting of the motors.

Also, either way (canted or not), i am also going to look into including the shrouds with instructions in that kit so that they are available should the modeler ac;tually *want* to build that type of cluster.

jim

Thanks Jim,

Let us know either way, and consider me a pre-order.

Gus ,
I havent built the titan yet ,
but once I turn the cone I will post some more build pics
as usuall,I have too many things on the workbench at one time

How's the project comming? I was impressed with your pictures, and started collecting the parts to clone one myself. I was wondering what you were going to do about fins, the ones from the kit didn't hold up well. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks, loojack

Back