What's the story behind your Screen Name?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fore Check

Reaction score
Alright, dump this if its a repeat.

Everyone has a story behind their screen name. Most people are left guessing.

Why did you pick the user name (for this forum) that you use?

For me, welllllllll.............................

Outside of my family, I have 4 things that I'm really passionate about: my rockets, my kites, my boat, and HOCKEY.

Do I play? Have you ever seen a short fat hockey player? :eek:

(In other words, NO!)

I was born and raised in St. Louis, and have been a Blues fan and hockey junkie since my dad took me to a Blues vs. Islanders game to celebrate my 1st Communion (if you're not Catholic, don't worry about it) in the 2nd grade.

So, "forecheck" is spelled incorrectly. The first internet forum I ever participated in took your screen name as your "first name" and "last name." The system then took those and separated them by a single space and that was your screen name upon registration. It was the closest I could get.

BTW- Blues 3, Nashville 0 in preseason play as I type this and listen on-line. "There are two seasons in a year. Hockey season, and summer."

I have had my screen name since, oh, about 1997. The first time I ever signed up for a chat group, Astrowolf67 was born. At the time, my main hobby was astronomy. I also loved pictures of wolves. The 67, is the year I was born. I put all three together, and that's what I came up with.

I got my name because I started the Model Rocketry hobby and started work on a trike from a mail jeep. Well the jeep is still a workm in progress and the Model haobby went to Rockethead Rockets. So iguess you can see what has came first.

I like Blue Ninjas! I had two days to build one before NARAM this summer. I had to rush it, yet it flies well.

well, see, my first name is "James", or the diminutive "Jimmy" or "J im". My last name is "F lis". Now, I just love L PR and I rises are my favorite flower and my favorite fish is the S almon.

So, there you have it

jf l i s

jflis

:D

man, I need some sleep... :kill:

my screen name is about my gerbils, gotta love those furry things:D

MarvSRG

Marv: My nickname (short for Marcus only to me...my friend Joe started calling me Marvcus for some reason, then shortened it to Marv, and after that the name just spread)

S: Sax...I'm a bigtime saxophone player (tenor sax mainly, but I also play soprano and bari sax)

R: Rockets

G: Guitar...I love playin' the git-fiddle

Stymye is my (now deciest) Iguana
named after the little rascal
he had a brain tumor
I borrowed his name

When I was a kid (when I began rocketry) I was too poor to afford the big motors, so I used Estes A-B-C-D stuff.

Now I am too old and crotchety and cheap to shoot off many of the 'big' motors. Besides, I don't have a good spot to launch the really high performance E-F-G birds and be able to get them back.

So . . . blackpowder motors . . . powderburner

Well, I love rockets and I am crazy about them, so I put them together and got Rocketmanic (Yes I know it's spelled wrong, I would change the spell to Rocketmaniac if I could)

I'm a Davey who likes Fire... or you could just say I stole my name from the electric match company who we all have come to love (Daveyfire 28Bs are the standard for ejection charges these days, not to start a debate over flashbulbs vs. electric matches, cause Ematches are far superior ;)...).

All my friends called me Rocketman because of the Elton John song. My other hobby is live sound and recording. I had an internship at a recording studio and I loved the mixing board they used, the Mackie 24-8. It's a 24 channel, 8 bus board. That's where I got the 248.

I ran into trouble on many forums (fora?) as my usual nickname (alchemist) is taken) so I adopted elbmod - which is domble backwards, which is my son's nickname (short for Dominic).

Last name followed by initials. It was assigned by my work for my email and login. So I use it for home email and screen names too.

Greg

Well.....
People dont tend to realise till i tell them this...
But in actual fact It's My Name yes belive it or not, It is my actual name given to me by my Parents.

Eugene is actually a nickname for "Eugenio" which is my full given name. It's funny how people get that question mark, deer-in-the-headlights look, when people see "Eugenio". So, all my life I've been called Eugene.

FL, well, I'm in FLORIDA! Woohoo!

Originally posted by elbmod
I ran into trouble on many forums (fora?) as my usual nickname (alchemist) is taken) so I adopted elbmod - which is domble backwards, which is my son's nickname (short for Dominic).

I have a son named Dominic too, but mine's nickname is Pickle.

Now, that's a long story........... ;)

BTW - do people around you inexplicably call your son "Dominique" (with the inflection on the 3rd syllable) and think their pronouncing his name correctly? Happens all the time here in Texas. I don't get it........ :confused:

Mine's a play on my last name (Chiles) - it gets mispronounced a lot! It got picked up as a nickname in the Marines and it's stuck ever since.
The Buzz Lightyear icon comes from my kids. They still want me to build a rocket with Buzz strapped to it...:D

I needed a screen name for playing Doom Deathmatches, all those years ago, when I was at Uni. As I had a 'thing' for cheap millitery-grade cyder ('Special Red' - 8.4% alcahol, 1ltr for 98p; back in those days), the name CyderMaster came into being!!

gothique_97 is the only screenname I frequently use that is also family-friendly.

Well, that's not completely true. Its a yahoo ID I created in 1997 while I was DJing gothic and industrial music on a college radio station in New Hampshire. I kept using that e-mail address instead of making a new one each year.

Most of the internet world know me as mrcluster..cause I'd rather fly a cluster of BP motors than anything..from back in the stone age before there was dirt actually now my second favorite activity:) Than Quest introduced the Micro-Maxx motor (and RTF models)... well.. I just went completely bonkers over the little jewels....started building scratch, scales and downscales of the classics like crazy (90+ flyable now) Some of the guys in the MR club I attend seeing my preoccupation with micros started calling me the micormister..It stuck! so when I regiestered here I thought I'd use it... sorta sorry now its a bit longer to type in each time but I think i'll keep it:D

DPatell....like Matt's.....and Martin's.....

D for Dan

Patell for Patell, and thats with 2 L's mind you...I'm French Canadian/Ukrainian.

Exciting stuff!!! My AIM screenname is sumthin else though, x3xCxOxLxDx3x :D You'll have to IM me on that one.

At one point in my Navy career I was an Electronic Counter-Measures Officer (ECMO) in EA-6B Prowlers. Thus the Prowler. One of the birds I flew in training was #901. And, there you have it - Prowler901.

Regards,
Todd

BTW - Cool thread Fore Check

And you're from Clifton Park!!! Thats really close!!! Like 5 minutes!!! lol, we may have to arrange a launch or something:D

Rev comes from the fact that I'm a Pastor and Keith is my first name. I'm not much into titles and I sure don't feel very reverend so please just call me Keith.

Keith

Originally posted by DPatell
And you're from Clifton Park!!! Thats really close!!! Like 5 minutes!!! lol, we may have to arrange a launch or something:D

That would be cool :) I was supposed to go to an ASTRE club launch today. But, we had to cancel due to weather. :( Send me an e-mail and we can try to set something up sometime.

Regards,
Todd

Simple formula for me: first initial + last name.

However at my first 'real' job, everyone's username used the same formula except that it had a maximum length of 8 characters...which meant I was lalligoo (lose the 'd'). Everyone loved pronouncing it "lalley-GOO" :rolleyes: Thankfully at my current job I "graduated" to a place where usernames are > 8 characters & I (finally) inherited the 'd' on the end :D

Originally posted by Prowler901
At one point in my Navy career I was an Electronic Counter-Measures Officer (ECMO) in EA-6B Prowlers.

The EA-6B is one of my favorite military jets!!!!! That is soooo cool that you flown them!!! Yes, I am totally jealous. I did not fly during my military career (I did get to ride in C-141's and C-5's, but that is not the same)

Back