Dull cote

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stymye

Reaction score
can anyone tell me if Testor Dull cote spray can be used over Krylon crystal clear?

Even though Dull Coat is a lacquer it seems to do all right over other paints without damage.

That seems to go against a basic painting rule. "No lacquer over enamal" I've used it and it seems to work ok:confused:

Go figure!

One important thing to remember though about Testor's Dull Coat.

It does NOT age well!

I have an old plastic model of the Spaceshuttle Columbia...built about 1988! It got an AWFUL of yellow tinge after about 4 or 5 years.

Being plastic I was able to carefully scrape it off and redo it...a lot of work!

Maybe I put it on too heavy.

sandman

Sandman the reason I asked
I want to use a decal I made for my Little Joe that requires krylon clear ..but I want to put a Dull cote over the whole model.
.mabey I shouldn't
I don't know how the silver will react either..I should have made some test samples ..mabey I should do that..

I made a spare decal just incase

heres a pic of the Little Joe so far ..I still have to do the fin masking for the orange?red color

As long as your on the subject. I want to dull coat my Estes V-2. Is testors the only one that makes a dull cote, and can I put the decals on first? Thanks
Larry

The dull coat will work GREAT over the decal!

But dull coat on the the silver...will look like CRAP! Honest...don't do it!

Try this experiment.

Paint a spare tube with the same silver...no do a couple of silver tubes.

Try different clear overcoat...Testors clear, Kryon clear, Future floor finish, etc.

Now after all the clear coats are completely dry (I use the "smell" test. If you can smell the paint, it's not ready) now topcoat it with the "Dull Coat"

Some of the silver...probobly all of the silver will turn blotchy...BAD!

But one might not:) you never know...there might be a correct combination.

Still if the Dull coat messes up the silver it's still better to have it mess up the scrap tube.

Don't mess up your BEAUTIFUL model.

sandman

Larry,

Yes Testors is probobly the only game in town for "dull" and as long as you didn't use silver, it works just fine over decals.

sandman

Sandman,
Thanks, and no I don't have any sliver. After reading the other post I'm glad I don't:) . Mine is painted like on the box, or close to it. It turned out better than I thought it would. Thanks again.

Larry

Stymye, nice looking Little Joe. I hope things work out so you don't mess up that pretty rocket. I learned my lesson about clear coating over metalic paint:eek:

I have enough time in the little Joe
so will definately heed your advice Sandman
..I will make up some test pieces before I mess up the model ..

I'll also post the results

thanks again!

It's a scratch built
I got the dimensions from Rockets of the world
and converted them to fit the Mercury capsule from the Redstone kit

I also got ideas from searching the forum

Stymye,

Yours looks really fantastic! I planned on the same idea.

I was going to take a Mercury Redstone kit and make a Little Joe I and a Jupiter C.

If I can only find someone to make me a nose cone for it...

sandman

Sandman
Send an email to Roach Works, that guy is pretty good!!!

My 2 cents...I use something called TopFlite Flat ClearCoat that you can buy at your local R/C Hobby Shop. It's made for R/C planes but works well on everything and is oil proof, fuel proof, waterproof...just plain tough stuff. I have had it on several planes and rockets for years now and it just plain doesn't yellow! I highly recommend it as a topcoat and have used it over Krylon and Testors...it "flatted out" the Chrome Testors Paint I used on the top of the <a target="_blank" href="https://www.rocketryforum.com/ctulanko/album/index.php?display=quark09132003%2Fpython%20021.jpg">Estes Cluster Bomb</a> I flew this weekend and you all know how dang sensitive the Testors Chrome is...it fingerprints like a bear. Well, no blotches...about the only thing it does do is leave a fairly hard durable surface...like it was coated in hard plastic.

Try some if you get a chance...I usually buy it in 6 can cases at a time so I don't run out, especiall with all the military rockets I flat coat.

Carl

Just wondering if Future polish is still an option here -I've searched the forums only to find conflicting info on this - my concern here is whether or not my rockets will yellow in the future (no pun intended) -does anyone really have a clear answer on this.

jpasqual,

As long as the Future is put on as a real thin coat...no yellowing.

A heavy coat of Future or any clear coat is asking for trouble.

I have some fairly old models (over ten years) with a light coat of Future and no yellowing.

sandman

I sprayed some future thru an airbrush on a few white rockets
I've built
some yellowed within a year some didn't ..I can't figure out the difference ,,other than the thickness of the application as Sandman suggests

Here is the beauty of Future.

A little ammonia type cleaner on a cloth and lightly wipe removes the Future.

And the yellow!

But lightly!

sandman

I wanted a clear paint for my son's new rocket because the lettering and stars are stick ons and they were not intended for flight or handling. What is suggested over Krylon white gloss, keeping in mind the red and blue gloss will also be covered? I am concerned that Future will not hold them as a paint would.

I have changed my ideas about Future Yellowing

I removed the Future form a "yellowed" rocket with Windex
to reveal that the paint had yellowed under the Future.

so I have to agree that the Future does stay clear ..this was on a 5 yr old rocket

I think the yellowing was caused from sun and heat affecting the paint instead.

Originally posted by sandman
Larry,

Yes Testors is probobly the only game in town for "dull" and as long as you didn't use silver, it works just fine over decals.

sandman

Sandman, I just got some Tsters Glosscote to put over my Bomarc, and was worried about the copper nose, and the silver on the nacelles. In re-reading this thread you said that the Testers did not work over silver. Testers states to use Dullcote, or Glosscote. Here https://www.testors.com/tes_cds/hobby_guides/Product_Guide.pdf ( caution this is a large file) on bottom of page 3 and top of page 4 Testers says this will work, I prefer hearing this from someone who has done it. I will try a test piece first as you suggest, but just curious if you had used their Glosscote.
Thanks!
Mike Dickinson

I've used the glosscote over automotive matellic paints and it works just fine.

I don't know about the copper nose cone but...try it...it's only a nose cone!

It's not like you'll ruin the whole rocket.

Hey, somebody has to be the first to try it!

sandman

Try Testors Metalizer Sealer over silver paint. It's also a lacquer, but doesn't affect the shine too much. It does tone down really shiny silver a bit.
I've had just about every model I coated with Dullcoat yellow, but as Sandman said, it could be because the coat was too thick, or because I sprayed when the humidity was too high. I've switched to acrylic overcoats, Future and Microscale flat and satin. You can airbrush all of these without thinning and clean up with Windex.
White enamels can yellow; I've been sanding down an Interceptor clone that went yellow almost immediately after a thick coat of Testors gloss white from a can. If you are airbrushing, you can add a couple drops of blue to white to prevent yellowing.
Drew Tomko

Krylon makes a matte finish for dulling items for photo work and a frosted finish for windows. Have used them to dull finishes on mod trains but don't know how they would hold up on rockets.

Back