We're back!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wscarvie

Reaction score
We're back!

Every time there's an outage I'm reminded how much I like hanging out here at the Forum.

Many, many thanks to Milo for providing us this wonderful place.

wscarvie

Originally posted by wscarvie
We're back!

Every time there's an outage I'm reminded how much I like hanging out here at the Forum.

Here Here!

Agreed, thanks Milo!

I have been suffering SERIOUS TRF withdrawell symtoms, over the last few days. Tried hanging out in a few other places: tried the ROL forums - too quiet :(, tried rmr - got flamed within two posts :(. In short, the alternatives suck; TRF is the real deal!

Its not until something is taken away from you do you realise how much you appreciate it!

Originally posted by wscarvie

I couldn't have said it better!!!!!!!! I was going crazy without the Forum..........

Well... I'm in negotiations with my ISP to co-locate the TRF server inside their walls which would give us lots of bandwidth and more up time (in theory). Once there TRF will be on commercial grade equipment. With TRF at my house the server is on consumer grade equipment and I'm also a low priority for getting fixed.

Stay tuned... hopefully it will all work out.

Originally posted by Milo
Well... I'm in negotiations with my ISP to co-locate the TRF server inside their walls which would give us lots of bandwidth and more up time (in theory). Once there TRF will be on commercial grade equipment. With TRF at my house the server is on consumer grade equipment and I'm also a low priority for getting fixed.

Stay tuned... hopefully it will all work out.

Good job! Glad things are working out.

Thanks for all your effort,
Patrick

Chuffed to buts to have TRF back - long may it stay here!

Milo - good luck in your negotiations!

Originally posted by Milo
Ok... explain that one for us yanks.

I think its a typo - the phrase is "chuffed to bits". Brit-speak for really pleased :D

I must agree with elbmod, I'm chuffed n'all the forums back. Gurt proper job!

Interesting... when I look this up I see that chuff is "to produce noisy exhaust or exhalations" and in modern times basically equates to what we call a "fart". Which is not all together very polite when in mixed company but funny as heck when hangin out with the guys.

Now chuffed is "English dialect chuff pleased, puffed with fat". Puffed with fat sounds more like being filled with gas in our little neck of the woods. :) Or being "stuffed to the gills" which is the happy miserable feeling you get after a very good, hardy meal. Hence "chuffed". I'm not sure where the "bits" come in.

I too am chuffed that the forum is up and running again,i thought it was my computer that was broken.

hey cyder
what is the rmr and why did you get flamed:confused:

rmr = Rec.Model.Rocketry

A fairly large newsgroup that has the dubious reputation of being very nasty to anyone who disagrees or is new. Cyder probably asked a wisely thought out question and someone took offence. RMR was actually why TRF came into being. We all registered in RMR for about a week before refusing to go back. Way too angry if you ask me. :)

Okay, I understand the chuffed to bits thing - what about "Bob's your uncle"? I don't have an Uncle Bob...

Loopy

Originally posted by arthur dent
hey cyder
what is the rmr and why did you get flamed:confused:

rmr is the rec.models.rockets newsgroup.

I posted a coment about how I was missing TRF, in a thread about the recent outage; and this chap had a go at me about whining. I was a bit taken aback by this, being used to the polite cheerfulness of this place; but after looking at a few other of this chap's posts (not hard, he seems to reply to everything), it was obvious this chap is a bit of a moaner. Something we don't suffer from here! :D

I'm so glad this place is free from the 'politics', and other stuff, rmr seems to be plagued with.

The uk.tech.rocketry newsgroup, however, is a VERY nice place to hang out. Not very busy, but its British! :cool: Its very orientated to HPR, but they don't mind LPR stuff. Useful place to find out whats going on around the country.

Originally posted by Loopy
what about "Bob's your uncle"?

"Bob's your uncle" - no idea where it comes from, but it means "there you go"; quod
erat demonstrandum
, if you like.

An example would be: "I pressed the launch button, and Bob's your uncle, my Deuce flew into the sky".

:) Next question? ;)

Originally posted by Loopy
Okay, I understand the chuffed to bits thing - what about "Bob's your uncle"?

'Bob's your uncle' basically means 'and there you go' usually its put at the end of an explanation of how to do somthing.

For example if you were explaining how to use a launch controller you might say 'hold down saftey key, press the launch button and Bob's your uncle.'

Thats when I say it anyway.

OK Dan explained it better than me...he used latin!

Thanks guys - that one cracks me up. Hey - I'm learning to speak British!

Loopy

Cydermaster ,
the fellow who flamed you and basically called TRF members whiners is the one and only Jerry Irvine

flaming people is his reason for existance
he is a very unhappy person....LOL

Originally posted by stymye
flaming people is his reason for existance
he is a very unhappy person....LOL

Thats the conclusion I'd come to. When TRF returned, I ran a search on him, and turned up this thread. Although brief, it confimed my suspisions about the chap having a bit of a chip on his shoulder.

British and Americans, two peoples seperated by a common language. :p
Thank God that TRF is back. I sometimes look through the posts at RMR, but the natives there sometimes eat visitors. Every once in a great while it gets warm here, but that place gets hot enough to melt lead. I am sometimes tempted to post there to answer a question or query, or ask one, but the flamethrowers always change my mind.

Glad TRF is back, too! I was afraid the company admin had decided to lock me out at work :eek:

OK, here's one my brother-in-law in London uses all the time.

"I'm as happy as a Larry!"

I have no idea what a "Larry" is and why he's so darned happy!

But I'm happy as a Larry that the our forum is back!

sandman

The Bob in question is lord Robert Salisbury.He was the British primeminister between 1900 and 1902.Apon his retirement he passed the job onto his nephew Arthur Balfour.The opposition would often call out "bob's your uncle" meaning he could have what ever he wanted.. :)

Hey, I'm Larry, and Larry:confused: about TRF being back up. Darn thing is I don't have much time to look right now:( Anyway really glad its back. I looked at ROL a couple of times, but its not the same. RMR I have never been to, and by the sound of it I think I'll keep my distance..........Larry

Originally posted by arthur dent
The Bob in question is lord Robert Salisbury.He was the British primeminister between 1900 and 1902.Apon his retirement he passed the job onto his nephew Arthur Balfour.The opposition would often call out "bob's your uncle" meaning he could have what ever he wanted.. :)

Is this the same Bob who's "your Auntie's living lover", as Cyder posted in another thread? And is she the reason why he retired in the first place?

Originally posted by graylensman
Is this the same Bob who's "your Auntie's living lover", as Cyder posted in another thread?

Yep,

Auntie's living lover = Uncle

Just a cockey variation on the old phrase. For anyone lucky enough to have seen the Fastshow (Brit TV sketch show), you'll understand when I say that this variation of the phrase is "A little bit whoooh, a little bit whaaaay!". :D

Oh, and thanks for the explanation, arthur, I never knew that. We could do with Babel fish to help people understand Britspeak! :)

Back