Gorilla glue

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rockman

Reaction score
Has anyone used Gorilla Glue. I've read good things about it. Can it be used instead of epoxy? I hate using epoxy. What do you guys think?

Don't do it!

It's expensive ($7 OR $8 for a little bottle)! It's sticky and messsy.

AND it foams up as it cures! It cures by absorbing water. Apply glue to one surface, liberally wet the other surface and clamp the parts together...this is where the foaming part comes in...clamp them really good!

The stuff foams up with a lot of force!

Great for bonding wood slabs together, glueing outdoor furniture, but not for rockets!

Only one exception.

I use it to glue the wood dowel into balsa blocks for turning, but clamp it down or it'll push the wood dowel right out of the hole.

sandman

Polyurethane glues expand and foam as they cure. They are not suitable for visible joints. They do a nice job on motor mounts and other such things in my opinion, if you want to wait for them to cure. They cure more quickly in hot, humid conditions, or if the surfaces are moistened, but in dry cool conditions can take 24 hours or more. I use have also used it to mount a kevlar leader in a BT. I put the kevlar straight down the tube and run a bead of polyurethane glue down it.
I prefer 5 minute epoxy for motor mounts in models, becuse it cures so much faster. I have been looking for alternatives. Some folks swear by white or yellow glues, but I don't like them much for surface mounts either. They don't dry smooth and take to long to set. They also can cause dimples in BTs because they shrink as they cure. Many others here disagree with that and use nothing but white and yellow glues.
Everything has advantages and disadvanagtes. I have used three or four different adhesives in one project because I wanted a specific advantage for specific purposes.

I too have used gorilla glue and find that although it is quite strong, there are better things to use for rockets, and better things to use gorilla glue on. You have to be looking to seel your project or use it for a long time in order to justify the cost. One thing that is cool about gorilla glue - if you want a seam to look like a stick weld, just run a thin bead of this stuff along it and as it foams it forms a bead that looks surprisingly real when painted.

Peace:cool:

Mike

Mike,
Great idea for scale welds. I'd never thought of it!

Back