SIG EPOXOLITE Putty - Don't do it!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eugenefl

Reaction score
Well let's just say that after 2 strikes, the 2-part Devcon clay and this SIG Epoxolite putty, there will not be a third. I WILL buy the Apogee 2 part fixit clay.

Product: SIG EPOXOLITE Epoxy Putty "Extra light molding compound."

Price: $8.99 for both 2.5oz jars of resin and hardener.

Review:

Unlike the hard and lumpy Devcon stuff, the SIG Epoxolite putty has the consistency of toothpaste or silicon caulking. Upon opening the two jars, I immediately went to "scoop" out equal parts of the mixture but instead my finger kinda sunk into the material. My first thought was, "Ah, I'll just kinda roll it around 'til it air dries some. Then I can make little epoxy/resin pea size quantities." Instead, the stuff just kinda stuck all over my fingers like old gum heated to a gooey blob under the sun. There was to be no rolling the putty around. The more I tried to consolidate it all, the more it stuck to my fingers and got between my nails. At one point I tried to use my cutting board as a surface to roll it around, but it just smeared some more.

The worst part came when I went to mix the epoxy and resin together. The blob got bigger, gooeyer, and just made more of a mess. Out of frustration I through the blob into the garbage and then started scraping the remains off of my fingers. As I ran water over my fingers I could feel the waxy sensation that bleach gives your fingers when accidentally spilled. Although there are no indications or warnings cautioning the user to not touch the goo, I have a feeling I shouldn't have handled the glue directly.

Bottom line, go with the Apogee stuff. After these 2 experiences, I will be placing my order online tonight. I have no idea who makes the Apogee 2-part fix-it clay, but dang that stuff rocks. Hopefully someone will come along and read these threads and hopefully learn a bit from them.

Is that the stuff that has a somewhat copper-like color to it, maybe a bit darker? I think I used it also and had the same results as you did.

I use to use Sig Epoxolite putty all the time on model airplanes for filler and making fairings, and wing saddles. I thought it worked great. It is epoxy based so getting it all over your fingers probably isn't the best thing. It is light and sands easily when dry. It mixes better if warmed a little. If you don't want it, send it my way I'll use it:) ................Larry

Originally pondered by Dick Is that the stuff that has a somewhat copper-like color to it, maybe a bit darker? I think I used it also and had the same results as you did.

Yep. That's the stuff. If anything, I wish it had the consistency of tacky temporary glue. (...the reusable white or blue 3M stuff teachers use to hang stuff in classrooms...kinda like gum, but not as sticky.)

Originally posted by Larry
I use to use Sig Epoxolite putty all the time on model airplanes for filler and making fairings, and wing saddles. I thought it worked great. It is epoxy based so getting it all over your fingers probably isn't the best thing. It is light and sands easily when dry. It mixes better if warmed a little. If you don't want it, send it my way I'll use it:) ................Larry

Larry, how exactly do you manipulate this stuff? Do you use popsicle sticks? Forget using hands...this stuff sticks all over my fingers. Do you mix it in a cup or on a waxy surface? I'm kinda unsure as to how I should use this stuff. I'm not sure if you've ever used Apogee Fix-It clay, but that stuff is JUST like the consistency of Play-Doh and can be handled as such. Once cured, the stuff is ROCK solid! The Epoxolite is more like toothpaste or white silicone and just gets everywhere. The consistency is so soft that I can't see how it keeps shape before hardening.

Eugene,
Epoxolite, isn't as easy to use as the apogee fix it clay by the way it sounds. I mixed it on cardboard with a stick. I have a piece of wood 3/8 wide X 1/8 thick about 8" long tapered narrow and thinner at the tip that I mix and apply all my glue with. I wipe it off after each use with thinner. Works great. Epoxolite is a lot like JB weld. For wing saddles I put wax paper between the wing and fuselage and put it on working it to the general shape. As it starts to set you can wet your finger with water and work it to more of what you want, and then after dry sand it to final shape. I don't remember what the drying time is, but once it starts to set it stays put.

I haven't used the stuff for years. It got to expensive here. Last I looked it was about $12.00 at the hobby shop.

Sig also use to have a product that looked like a piece of cardboard( I can't remember the name of it) you could cut any size or shape from it. It was mostly ment to be used for wing center section strength. Anyway you soaked it with thinner to activate a glue impregnated in it. Once dry it was very strong, and the edges could be feathered out as you put it on or by sanding. It would have worked well for extra strength after attaching fins to a body tube. It hasn't been around for quite some time now.

Yea, I know I rambled on
:eek: sorry........Larry

Back