Launch rods, towers and rails

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevem

Reaction score
Hi All, just getting back into this hobby after a 30 year break.
Much has changed and I am trying to get caught up some.
I have seen launch pads that say they use rails instead of rods.
How does this compare to the old launch lugs?
Also saw some that use 'towers' - how exactly does that work?
Any info will be helpful!
Thanks!

I personally believe rails are the way forward as they present less drag and are more stable than a rod.The problem with towers is that they have to be readjusted for different sized rockets that are going to be launched.Over here in the U.K. i don't think threr is any one manufacturing a rail system and they are expensive to import from the states so im still using a rod.But i plan to change as soon as a U.k.rail is available.

Steve,

Welcome to TRF and back to the hobby! We have a great bunch here as you'll soon find out.

I moved your thread to the Support/Recovery section as it fit in a little better here.

Hi Arthur

If you're interested, I livein the UK and made my own launch rail using an aluminium extrusion from RS (www.rswww.com) and rail buttons from Matt Stum (www.railbuttons.com)

Cost about £20 for the extrusion and rail buttons are $0.25 each

Works very well too!

Pete,

I've been searching RS for the aluminium extrusions you mention, but dont seem to be able to find them. Any pointers as to where I should be looking?

Ta.

hi elbmod
Yep this sounds very exciting indeed and i would be very gratefull if you could give a few more details like product numbers etc.
also what do you use for a base for your rail..
thanks

Here is a link to McMaster Carr.

https://www.mcmaster.com/

Put this number in the search engine: 60585K41
Right under the search result, click on "catalog page" to see other similar items. They are sold as sliding door rails in this instance, but that is not important.
A six foot rail that WILL work with buttons from Railbuttons.com is $20.48 plus shipping. An eight foot section is only $26.56 plus shipping. I am considering upgrading to this for my next pad.

Sounds like rail is the way to go so I did it - I ordered the rail from McMaster Carr and the buttons from Matt Stum.
Can't wait to try this out.
Thanks for all the info!
:D

Matt Stum has a great product and inexpensive. How many railbuttons did you order? Hey, that gives me an idea for a poll. McMasters is a great company too. Make sure you share your pictures with us. :)

I ordered 3 of each color from Matt. I am just getting started (stll haven't built any rockets) so I wanted an assortment. At $.25 each it's affordable to have a variety.
I agree that McMaster is a great company! I've used them for years in my previous job. They've got so much that it gets a little hard finding the exact items. Thanks to rbeckey for posting the part number and the link. That helped a lot!
:cool:

Welcome to the Forum, also welcome back to rocketry:D
your gonna love it here at TRF:)

SteveM welcome to the Forum !!

What type/size rockets are you planning to fly on the rail?

We (I am introducing my 8 year old son to the hobby) will start out with a couple of Estes larger rockets - probably a Stormcaster or Big Bertha. I just can't bring myself to buy those Estes starter kits with all the plastic fins and such. Seems too much like buying a toy. I always figured 80% of the fun is building the rocket! I hope my 8 year old thinks so too!

Once we get our feet wet again I am keen on getting into larger rockets but am not sure how big I can go. I have read a lot about certifications and such but don't know enough about it yet.
I need to find a club here in NW Iowa that can help me when I get ready to move into bigger stuff.

By the way, I ordered launch buttons from Matt Stum today and I already received an email from Matt telling me that he just shipped my buttons! Now that's service!!
:D

... based on my experience with 6 and 8 year olds:

definitely do some balsa fin models. but go ahead and get some plastic fin models because:

8 year olds want to put it together and fly it; build a few quick and fly 'em and get the enthusiasm going. go ahead and blast a few away so you get over that too.

8 year olds are going to get frustrated by the time and waiting and fine motor skills required for finishing (sanding, sealer, primer, painting) so plan to help with that.

skip the spray paints and use kid-friendly acrylic paints.

thanks for the tips on handling the 8 year old. I appreciate that and will certainly take your advice.
I got the rail from McMaster Carr yesterday. I think that it will not only work better than rod, it will look a lot cooler!!

Back