Photo tips anyone?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffK

Reaction score
Since joining this most excellent forum, I've learned many things. Not the least of which is that we all absolutely love seeing rocket pics.

Well, I've always been behind the launch button and have never attempted to take any photos of my flights. I'd like to learn how it's done. Does anyone have any tips for taking photos of your rockets in action? More specifically, how do you avoid ending up with a photo of a smoky launch pad and a streak of smoke but no rocket? How do you know when to push the button?

Oh wise and learned ones, bring your wisdom to those of us who are ignorant!

Jeff

Firstly, I can say don't use a digital camera for liftoff pics. Most cameras have a delay between the time you press the shetter button and the camera snaps the pic. Higher end digital cameras don't have the delay, but cost quite a bit.

I use an SLR and get pretty good results. Use a fast film and the fastest shutter speed you can.

I listen to the countdown and press the shutter on the word "launch". There's enough lag in my brain-to-muscle signal so that most of my photos catch the rocket just a few feet above the launch rod.

Mostly, you just have to go out and experiment a little.

I use a digicam most of the time, but have had good results with an SLR and even a compact cam. I find the trick is to have arocket buddy to launch with - you get used to their launch routine and timing and can generally get a shot most times

I use a digital camera exclusively now, for rocket pix and nail the liftoff shot probably 95% of the time.

There is a delay, but most (if not all) of that delay is for the auto focus to work. To get around that delay, (with every camera i've seen), you press the shutter button halfway. That triggers the auto focus. Then, at launch, you press it the rest of the way and the shutter fires instantly.

The trick is the *feel* of the shutter button and getting used to pressing (and holding) it halfway. With my new camera, I'm stil working to get used to it.

After that, its a matter of practise and getting the *feel* of it. I notice that I listen for the sound of the motor and the visual of the ignition and pretty much ignore the LCO's countdown.

Also, it's cheaper to use a digi-cam while learning as practice shots are free and can be viewed right away (allowing you to make corrections as you learn)

fwiw :)
jim

I use my digi cam's Multiple Picture function. Its the digi version of an auto-motor wind on a normal camera. It takes about 4 pics / sec. I get a mate to launch, press the shutter when they get to 2, then keep my finger on the button till the rocket is airborn.

I usually manage to get a shot of the flames bursting out of the motor, just as the rocket is about to start moving.

I'm not totally happy, but as its all I've got (for now), I'm going to keep on with it and experimenting with new techniques. I'm thinking of investing in a tripod, to stop the shakey-ness of the pictures I get.

I have gone back to using film again, and I love it. My camera, which I got off of eBay, is the Minolta Vectis S-1. It is a SLR camera which can be changed from fully automatic to manual. My pics that I got at NARAM, were taken using 800 speed film, with a shutter speed of 1/2000th of a second. The S-1 also has a huge advantage! It uses the 24mm APS film, which gives me panoramic capability. I set the camera to H Mode (panorama mode with the heigth of normal format), turn the camera on end, focus, and when I see smoke, I snap. Here is an example of a non cropped pic. It's my 2.6" V2, boosting on a F21, a very fast lift off.

I do the same as Jim described with his digital camera .hold the buton halfway .when I hear the pop or see a touch of smoke I press all the way. I'm catching about 75%.

pictips.html

This is a list of tips the president of our club put together. He's got some great shots, and I can say I'm not too bad either following these guidelines. To see the launch pics our club has been blesses with, go to quarkers.org and press the Launches button.

Loopy

[Edit] By the way - just personal preference, but I find it easier with SLR. I use a canon EOS Rebel G, and I love it! I usually use a 29-70mm zoom lens, but recently acquired a 65-200mm zoom. Love it!

I've had good luck with my 35mm camera for launch photos. For high powered stuff I'm all focused and ready during countdown, and about the first sign of smoke click the shutter. It depends on the type of propellent used also. Blue thunder is a hard one to get good pictures of. I got an excellent photo of my Amraam 4 this way. I haven't had a lot of luck with the digital yet. They seem really light sensitive. The way Jim describes is how I have been doing it, but I think I'm zoomed in to close on the rocket, and just miss it. Practice, practice, practice.......Larry

I've been getting very good luck with my digital camera. I use the same technique as Jim. After a bit of practice, I am able to hold the button halfway for quite a while. I was at an airshow this weekend and I was able to catch a picture of each one of the Thunderbirds leaving. I even got some mach rings in the afterburner.

At the next launch I go to, I will bring a tripod. I will get it centered and focused first. Then I can watch the whole flight. Before, I was looking through the viewfinder and I never really see the liftoff.

I would guess those Red Maxi shots were taken with the use of a tripod and a - argh, technical words escape me! - motor that auto shoots and advances in rapid sequence. You know what I mean.

Oh yeah.... these are pro shot pics on the Rocketetry screen saver from Klinger Photography

www.bigkidproductions.com

over 400 amazing photos in a self loading screen saver with multipule formats/sizes... now I hope Mark doensn't mind If I post one more...

this Is a shot you probably wouldn't want to be able to take!

We use an Estes Command Controller (the one with 2 7.2V RC Batteries). I sit with my son in front of me. I push the yellow (ARM) button because my son doesn't have the strength in his fingers. This makes a solid tone. I aim the camera with the other hand. My son counts down and presses the red (Launch) button. When this is pressed the solid tone stops. I click. We get it every time. Based on the sound loss. That is what works. Every time, I'm not kidding.

Nick

Oh, and I use a Digital Camera too! Olympus C-2020ZOOM

Nick

I use a Minolta Dimage 7i digital camera that has a function that is called "rapid sequence". I mount the camera on a tripod and just press the shutter button half way down to get the focus. When the LCO counts down to 1 then I press and hold the shutter and can get 3 pics of the rocket from the launch pad to about 80 feet in the air.

The real key to a good jet aircraft photo is to find a jet that will sit still for the picture! :D

Hmmmm...look at those exhaust trails. Do ya think he has an upscale Deuce in there?

(curses...Jim beat me to the obligatory Deuce reference).

kermie, yep, sure did! :D :D

another thought (depending on your camera) is to set it to fixed focus. Many cameras have this feature. SOmetimes it is called "Manual Focus". On a digi-cam, this means that you set (fix) the focus at a predetermined distance. Typically you have 2-3 choices like 5', 25', infinity (just for example)

If you are comfortable that you know or can set your distance from the launch pad and "fix" the focus, then the delay for auto-focus goes away and you have fast shutter response.

My particular digi camera sets the focus by partially depressing the shutter button until there's an audible beep. I'm usually perty good at catching the rocket with a nice flame on most shots.

Back