Arrrrgh!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffK

Reaction score
Well, my newly-(eBay) purchased factory-sealed Estes Saturn V kit arrived today! I was so happy!!!!! Until I opened the box that is.....

The kit box wrapped in corrugated cardboard is NOT a good shipping container.

Here's another pic of the tragically mangled Main BT. The seller has been notified and he has 100% positive feedback, so I can only hope he'll make it right.

I was looking forward to building this while on vacation next month too.....

Thats a nightmare come true!!!

:eek:

If only the seller had used an old '9" Deep Dish Pie Crusts' box, with the words '9" Deep Dish Pie Crusts' crossed out with a black marker pen.

;)

JeffK,

Call Estes NOW!!

1-800-525-7516 x 216

Tell her exactly what happened and what you need. Be nice and polite.

You may be suprised!

sandman

Yeah, what Sandman said.
That's gotta be aggravating but it's not a total loss. Body tubes can be replaced. If the wraps etc. got trashed then you're in real trouble.

Well, I have been advised by the person I bought the kit from to contact the shipping company. I have made initial contact and we'll see what happens. I will call Estes tomorrow and see what Christine has to say (don't worry Sandman, I'm ALWAYS very polite) :)

I'll be needing the Main BT and one of the couplers. A couple of the Vacu-formed sheets are cracked, but only on the flashing so no harm there.

As a side note, I was planning to build this as a precursor to the Apogee Saturn V. Anyone here build that one yet?

Sandman, I may have to get one of your 1Bs if ever you release more of them. There's just something about the tube, fin layout and color pattern of the Saturn 1B that makes me stare at it....

As for my saga, I'll keep posted.

BTW, Sandman...

The number posted for Estes Customer service had the last 2 digits transposed. Christine is at 1-800-525-7561 x 216. Actually, her voicemail is and I left her a message...

Just thought I'd clarify for anyone who might have written the number down for later reference.

I just looked...isn't 216 what I typed???:confused:

I'm getting older by the D**n minute!

If you don't have any luch with Estes (but I'm sure you will), Totally Tubular has the BT-101 tube available now.

sandman

Over here in the U.K. allmost all our rocketry requirements are fullfilled by mail order.As you can probably imagine,i have seen quite a few bent,crushed,creased,and squashed tubes:mad:
But i have become quite good at cutting tubes to make the best of a bad job:D Allso every supplyer i have dealt with has been more than happy to send replacements while postal claims are being dealt with.:cool:

Well, I have renewed faith in Estes (not that I ever doubted). I heard back from Christine today and told her what happened. Even though it was not Estes' fault, she is shipping me out a new main BT and reinforcing ring free of charge. I even offered to pay for the parts and she said it would not be necessary.

Sandman, you are right to be protective of Christine. She's exceedingly nice and an asset to Estes and the hobby!

Back