What is your favorite kit?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sixx

Reaction score
I am curious, what has been your favorite kit to build or fly? I would just like to see where this heads. I know everyone has a differing opinion of what works for them and what they like to see from a kit. Give it to me, the greats, what you liked best about it and how it flew.

I'll start with my 4" IRIS from Yank Enterprises. This is a simple , stable rocket that is fun to fly and looks great. I think it's an all around superb kit. The Airframe is strong, and it flies like a dream.

Lets hear it!

Every kit I've built has been a favorite! But the one that holds a dear place in my heart is the Estes Little John. It was my first kit, given to me by grandparents. it was easy to build, looked great, and flew straight and true.

In process of cloning it; right now it awaits final coats of green paint.

My favorite has got to be my 2X upscaled Custom Razor seen here. The reason I like it so much is that it keeps relatively low altitudes even on G flights so you get to enjoy the whole flight. The tube fins guarantee a nearly perfect straight flight every time.

I have two favorites.

1st would be the Estes Aston Sprint, just one of those very cool, simple rockets that go forever on even an A motor

2nd would be the FlisKits Corona. I love her sleek lines and great flights!

jim

Far to many to post! But if I could pic only 2
Estes interceptor, and Centure Laser-X ... Micro-maxx to 4 D12 Upscales either are just the coolest things flying!

Estes Scissor Wing Transport. I had an original one in the mid seventies and have clones in 13mm, 18mm and 24mm now.

Mine is the Astron Constellation.

That's the one I made an upscale kit of.

I don't know what it is about it...I've built and still have three, an original, a clone, and an upcale but everytime I look at it I want to build another.

Check out Carl's review in EMRR

sandman

My favorite low power kit has to be my Phoenix. Big, impressive looking, and easy to mod for composite 24mm.

My other favorite has been my PML Small Endeavour. Cool looking kit, my first high power and will be my L1 cert rocket!

Loopy

My favorite kit to date is the Custom Redliner. It's cheap and goes together easy and on a C6-5 it goes out of sight.

Keith

Estes Silver Comet/2.56 inch V2. Great kit, great flyer. Many possibilities for mods. Needs to be reissued!

I've not been flying long enough to have an all time fav kit. At the mo, my fav kit is my Fliskits Drake. I put alot of effort into building it, and it is such a graceful rocket to watch, as it climbs into the sky.

I have the 'gut feeling', thought, that she won't hold that accolade forever. A better kit could be just around the corner, so I've got to keep on building ............ :cool:

MY favorite Kit could be two/three-fold. The PML AMRAAM 4 is by far one of my favorites as is The Launch Pad HARM AGM-88A. I also like the PML AMRAAM 2 ... simple, rugged and, can fly all day on medium F to cheap $12 HPR loads and is less expensive than most Aerotech and some Estes kits.

Carl

Gotta admit though, being a scale fan, the Deuce is growing on me...

I can't come up with one favorite,but

Estes- Bt-80 V2(or silver comet) is definately one of them

other sure favorites:
Fliskits-Deuces Wild ( an Excellent kit for the money)
Vaughn Bros- Javelin ( a performer)
Loc-Viper III ( more cluster fun)
Loc-EZI65 (reliable )

any V2 kit would probably qualify for me.LOL

Originally posted by cydermaster
A better kit could be just around the corner, so I've got to keep on building ............ :cool:
YES, keep building, DON"T LET ANY GOOD ONES GET AWAY!:D :cool: :D

I have several kits that come to mind

Pro Jayhawk, Maxi V-2, NCR Patriot, P.E. Bullpup

And this one.....Centuri 1/45 scale Little Joe 2

My favourate rocket so far is my quest navaho..It gives a great flight everytime and never fails to impress and its tough enough to take hard landings so i can use a streamer with it...great..:)

Hey, Marty,

Don't you owe me money???

Send me the Centuri Little Joe II and we'll call it even!

sandman

As far as Kits go I love any V2 but my fravorite would have to be my LOC 5.5" V2 :D

My Estes Tornado is always fun, because of its unique recovery. The tail 1.5" of the body tube comes off with the engine and takes two of the fins with it in a kind of tumble-glide, the remaining fin stays with the forward tube and nose cone and helicopters down. It's also the first rocket I ever built.

I'm REALLY enjoying building my CC Express, because a) it's the biggest rocket I've ever built... what can I say, I'm strictly LPR, b) the materials are heavy and substantial, and c) I'm taking this one seriously, making my own TTW basswood fins, using epoxy everywhere instead of quick CA, sanding, etc etc etc. Six more fin fillets and waiting for my C11-0's to come in, and I'm ready to launch...

I've also developped a fondness for the Quark (aka the neo-Mosquito), because they're really cheap, so we can experiment with them a bit and not be disappointed if we lose them. I'd kind of like to create a tube-launch system, and rig up a box launcher of 12 to 24 Quarks, but certain U.S. senators might use that as proof that model rockets lead to terrorist weapon systems. :kill:

Here's my favorite kit. Sadly, I've been unable to obtain the actual kit since my original back in the day. I was unwilling to pay 50 bucks for it when the auction fever took control of some folks on ROL.

These are two of the three (at least) planned clones. "Wee" and "Not-So-Wee". I'm still planning out "Frickin' Huge!"

Also have an ASM MK II in my Rocksim folder waiting to be prototyped.

The Estes Airborne Surveillance Missile (original size and 1,68x Upscale):

Jeff K

I forgot to attach my picture of my favorite kit...Custom Redliner!

My favorite would have to be my Estes 2.6" V2. I love short, fat, stubby rockets. I would also have to say, my last scratch build, a 2.6" Black Brant II, which has turned in two beautiful flights on G80's so far.

OH...Can I change mine???

Saturn 1B...no no

Black Brant II...no no

Yes I know the V-2...4" Estes Maxi...no nio

2.6" Estes V-2...no wait

Leave mine the Constellation...no...yes...no..maybe...I give up!

sandman

My favorite model rocket is the Rocket Vision Mach-Buster. I still have one!

Bruce S. Levison, NAR #69055

Probably my favorite kit is my PML Callisto. It was my very first rocket ever and I really researched the construction. This is a great flyer on a multitude of motors.

Second is sandmans Transglobal Interceptor. This was a very rewarding build and the rocket/glider flies beautifully. I would rather display it than fly it.

Third was my totally trashed Black BrantII. Got to get another one. Then my Deuce, then my Spitfire, gosh I like em all.

I know you asked for kits but I really like scratchbuilding the best.

Swimmer :D

I guess a scratch built is technically a custom kit huh? Thats great, I like to hear about them all. I will be entering the realm of scratch builts soon. I am building a 38mm 3" x 7' rocket right now. Will post pics later in that forum.

I would have to vote my LOC/Precision Graduator as being my favorite kit in the fleet. I've flown it with a D12 to a G80 and everything inbetween. It's flown with and without my heavy camera payloads and never ceases to let me down. It's been a beauty queen, but is now a workhorse. (Primer and all!)

I have sort of a love/hate relationship with it. Due to an earlier version not having TTW fins, I've experienced fin separation after nearly 3 repairs. I've finally glassed the fin can with 1.5oz glass, but somehow another crack along the fin root has reappeared. Ah well...this is going to be a duct tape rocket. Hopefully someday I'll replace it with a new one that can shine nicely.

Ah well. Here's my favorite rocket boosting on a G40. I got some great onboard shots from this flight. See my website for those pics. (Old ones...I know...I need to update the site.)

So many great kits, clones, scratch-builds - so little time!

Although I haven't completed it yet! My favorite kit to date has to be the Apogee Saturn V! It's an incredible kit.

Low power would have to be the Estes Goblin. Nice and high on a D, then that huge streamer. Plus it just was a cool looking rocket.
High power my Smokin' Rockets Nike Smoke.

Tom

Back