Help with Vernier Calipers

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rkt2k1

Reaction score
Can anyone provide a tutorial (or point to one available on the net) for the proper reading of a Vernier Caliper. I purchased one for my scratch building projects. The usage instructions provided are minimal at best. :confused: Any advice/suggestions are appreciated!

Thanks! :)

What kind is it? Is it a dial type (easiest to use)

Digital ? (Oh man, even easier!)

Or the old Vernier kind?

The old Vernier are the hardest to use and decribe without a picture.

Maybe we can start with some questions from you.

sandman

Hi Sandman,

I believe it is the old Vernier style. The cost difference between this and the dial-up and digital calipers was significant. I bought it to enable more accurate ID/OD body tube measurements. The instructions read as follows:

"In reading measurements count as follows:

1. The full inches on the Bar Scale
2. The 16ths on the Bar Scale to the first on the Vernier Scale
3. To obtain the 1/128ths of an inch, (or 1/2 of a 64th), count the spaces on Vernier Scale starting at left until a line is reached which coincides with a line on the Bar Scale."

Thanks!

Well, wish me luck trying to explain this.

Very few people use the old vernier style calipers...they are just to darn hard to read! Especially as you get older!

The big incriment lines like 1/4" and 1/16th" aren't too bad.

The decimal ones start getting hard to read at .01"

But!! the really hard part is reading to the third decimal place or 1/128th"!

The upper scale on the sliding part is the one you that you use for fine measurements.

The first big mark on the left on the upper scale is the "basic" measurement like 1/4" or 1/16th". Heck, THAT's the easy part!

Then use the row of tiny lines after that to "interpolate" how far past the last mark (1/4" or 1/16th" you have gone in increments of 1/128th"

Look very carefully use the line that's the closests to alignment to take your measurement.

What I mean is look to the left and to the right of the line you think is it. The marks should be too far to the right on the right for alignment and the mark on the left is just a hair too far on the left.

The one in the middle should be "just right"

Count how many marks away from the big far left mark to get the number of 1/128th it is.

WHEW!!! THAT was hard!

sandman

Sandman,

Thanks for the graphic! I'll figure this thing out yet!!

Thanks!

Don't strain your brain trying to be super prcice.

That's why they went to the Digital and the dial type.

The old vernier ones suck!

Sorta like when they came out with pocket calculator...everybody threw away their slide rules...same problem.

Trying to see thos D**n tiny lines!

sandman

wow Sandman,Trying to explain how to use a vernier is not an easy task .!!

you forgot to mention about the different process between inside and outside readings....that confuses people as much as anything!

Rkt2k1, you can get dial and digital calipers for 15-20 dollars online or from enco.and other machinist supply places.they are more than sufficient for balsa and tubes

Sandman I have to defend the Vernier caliper lol

Vernier Calipers ,Height Guages,ect are still used extensivly in the machining, manufacturing,fields.
I have seen very few dial or electronic calipers above the 12" range used. They obviously exist and are much easier to read.but you can't beat vernier for accuracy and reliability.

Dials can go out of whack.and are trashed if you ding the rack or pinion or get just the tinest debris in them . the fact is .teeth wear!!. digital is becoming more the trend .but have to be checked regularly for any company that must comply with Iso standards.(anything critical these days)

also ,you can't guarentee that what you read on a digital caliper is correct.with out checking the caliper with a gage before and after a reading. in a typical machine shop, dial/digital calipers are only used for generally checking things.

usually micrometers are used for actuall close measurements .

and how does a micrometer read ? it's a vernier !

Vernier definately has a place in close tolorance measuring and will be around for a long time.
you don't want to be seen making your final measurements in a machine shop with a caliper. trust me .lol

Granted, vernier calipers are more accurate.

But, we are talking measuring model rockets here. The accuracy required for balsa wood is well...close enough if it fits the tube!

I don't believe Rkt2k1 is ready for machine shop work. LOL!

My point was, they are hard to use for a beginner, heck they are hard to use for anyone over 40! Like me!

They are even harder to teach unless you are right there with the person explaining it!

Yes, a micrometer is infinately more accurate!

sandman

Sand, theres No argument on my part

I totally agree. I was just pointing out that verniers are very much still in use but I can't read the things without a magnifier either! LOL

Stymye:
LOL you stole my post! I was just going to write about the machine shops and Labs that use ONLY vernier's for the reasons you mentioned. Also to mention most machinist have or ware glasses and magnifiers as thick as coke bottle bottoms, My father was one:D
One on my prize possessions is a 30" .001" vernier left to me by dad:D it weighs a ton and I can only read it with a 4x magnifier but man is it sweet!

Sandman: that was a great job explaining their use.

IT WAS???

:confused:

Great...now sombody explain it to me!

I have just plain given up on vernier scales...I exclusively use a dial type and consider it close enough for balsa work.

Actually I'm kinda partial to my $1 plastic calipers I got in the $1 tool bin at my local hardware store.

It has a vernier scale but...I covered it up with paint so I'm not tempted to try and read it. How accurate can a plastic caliber be anyway?

sandman

OK I'll agree with you, for balsa and BIG stuff dial or digital calipers are fine, especially of they are Helio's :) But for fine work in Basswood, some of the fine Hardwoods, plastics, and metals ya just can't beat a good vernier for accucary. You just gotta have a magnifing glass to read it:D I use a 6" vernier for a lot of my Micro detail work because I can get .001" or .005" difference with my dial helio's depending of the day, how fast it is adjusted etc. ... may not sound like much but it bothers me when modeling true scale stuff.

Back