Orbital Transport

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darian Rachal

Reaction score
What is the best & easiest method for sealing the balsa surfaces of the OT? I have some Minwax Polycrylic that I can spray on, or I may have to go the finishing epoxy route. Or would several coats of white primer suffice? :)

I like to use thin CyA glue to "paint" the surfaces of balsa. Use a plastic bag, like the kind rocket kits come in (the glue won't adhere to them).

Lay your balsa on it and drip a bunch of glue on it and then use your finger to QUICKLY spread it around. KEEP YOUR FINGER MOVING!! ;) This will spread the glue out and it will soak into the balsa very nicely.

put another layer of plastic over the top and put a heavy book on it until it dries to keep it flat. After it is dry, just sand it smooth and you'll have nearly plastic wood afterwards!

Jason, I guess I should have mentioned that the OT has already been costructed. Actually, I have flown it once just to test the glider. I believe your heavy book suggestion might alter it's stability somewhat. ;)

Hmmm.....

I think you're right. Heavy book on an already built model would not be a good idea. :rolleyes:

I sealed my OT as well as my Transglobal interceptor with straight Elmer's white glue.

Do it fast and do both sides of the fins at once to prevent warping.

After the fins and wings are on is the best time to use the white glue method.

But...be cheap on the glue for the orbiter.

sandman

Two coats of AeroGloss on mine worked great. Finished with Krylon sandable primer and gloss white, and you can't tell it's wood.

I've since found that balsa is really inconsistent. My Apogee Aspire soaked up the stuff like a sponge. So if you can't get the grain covered up after three coats at most, try watered-down Elmer's wood putty.

Aero Gloss is aircraft dope. Great stuff if you know how to use it. I love it but often don't want to spend the money. It is great in an air brush.

What I usually do with something like the OT for the fins is either mono-kote or jap-tissue (best and lightest)

jim

Maybe it's just because I'm impatient, but I just primed it with a few heavy coats. I'm not worried about breaking or anything like that, so a few heavy coats of primer, and I was pretty happy. Like I said though - I'm EXTREMELY impatient when it comes to finishing my rockets.

Loopy

Thanks for all the tips. No really sure which route I'll take. Actually, I was quite surprised with how straight & reasonably high it went on a B6-4 the one time I flew it.

Back