Where does everyone live?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally posted by hprt
Is no-one else on this forum from Canada ??

I live in the province of Alberta (immediately north of Montana). Heartland of Canadian Rocketry, and home to LDRS in 2005. I expect to see at least some of you make the trip. ;)

I am also "none of the above", hailing from the Vancouver area, British Columbia, Canada. Here, our launch season never really has great weather, but it's year-round. :D

For the reference of Americans, I am one 1975 Honda Civic's tank of gas (~150 miles) north of Seattle WA. Vancouver is just like Seattle, but with more trees, everyone who bothers to have a TV gets cable, and we have a road system that makes sense.

Justy -

I got a friend in Vancouver. His name is Dave, and he works in an office. Office Dave - yeah, that's it. Do you know him? :rolleyes:

Seriously though - are you with the BCRC? Have you ever made the trek out to Roc Lake or Sullivan Lake? Those are the two big HPR launches in Western Canada. (By big, I mean M flights and more than 10 people ;) ) Sullivan lake is coming up - 19,20,21 September weekend. Check with the CRA or CAR for more information on location.

The MC2 field in middle tennessee would be "somewhat" more accesable for the westerners..
10,000 ft waiver ..over a square mile of sod ..I'm hoping we could host an event sometime in the near future

..... just tossing a suggestion in the hat

Originally posted by stymye
The MC2 field in middle tennessee would be "somewhat" more accesable for the westerners..
10,000 ft waiver ..over a square mile of sod ..I'm hoping we could host an event sometime in the near future

..... just tossing a suggestion in the hat

It doesn't sound like a bad suggestion at all. It would work for me.

Originally posted by hprt
Justy -
I got a friend in Vancouver. His name is Dave, and he works in an office. Office Dave - yeah, that's it. Do you know him? :rolleyes:

Seriously though - are you with the BCRC? Have you ever made the trek out to Roc Lake or Sullivan Lake? Those are the two big HPR launches in Western Canada. (By big, I mean M flights and more than 10 people ;) ) Sullivan lake is coming up - 19,20,21 September weekend. Check with the CRA or CAR for more information on location.

Right! Office Dave! Yeah, he's dead. :D

No, I'm not BCRC... yet. I've only been a BAR now for about two months. Besides, I'm 100% LPR for the forseeable future. I've had an Estes CC Express sitting in my box for about a month now, and I haven't so much as sanded a fin; plus, I'm going back to school, and motors aren't cheap. Designing and building my own rockets to launch on $300 giant reloadable engines is out of the question.

Funding would barely allow for gas to get to Sullivan Lake, let alone camping, eating, etc. Maybe next year... Heck, it'd be worth it just for the drive through the BC Interior. The mountain passes on Highway 3... good drivin'.

Wait a sec... your signature... you were one of the guys who built that Dauphin! SWEET! I'll bet that was something to see. I'm looking at the pics on the BCRC site. :) Now that's it's flown successfully, are there any plans to launch it on O+4L?

The middle Tennessee area sounds great. It looks like nearly half the TRF membership is in the Southeast or Midwest, so TN would kind of split the difference. I could probably talk the wife into a family vacation around it, too.

Still trying to talk her into LDRS at Buffalo next summer but that's been a tough sell so far. Will go solo with the boys if I have to!

I would go to TN!!! My parents LOVE that area....we could also maybe have a TRF white water rafting trip.....now THAT would be cool!!!

TN or NC gets my vote.

Jason

Originally posted by jetra2
we could also maybe have a TRF white water rafting trip.....now THAT would be cool!!!
Jason

I agree..... Way too cool. I have not been white water rafting in 3 or 4 years. WE NEED REALLY START PLANNING THIS TRIP!!!!!!

Rockets and Rafting, count me in

No, I'm not BCRC... yet. I've only been a BAR now for about two months.
...Funding would barely allow for gas to get to Sullivan Lake...
...you were one of the guys who built that Dauphin...

You should still contact the BCRC - they appear to be a good group and being a member gets you access to launches and support, if you have no private places to launch. Phil (Coast Rockety - a.k.a. "the competition") is a good guy to get to know as well.

As for making the trek out to one of the launches in Lethbridge (Roc Lake) there is usually a contingent from BC that comes along. Scott Harrison (West Coast Hybrids) and Coast Rocketry, along with a few of the BCRC members are regulars out here. It is worth the gas money. As for a place to stay, get on the CAR mailing list, and pre-arrange a place to stay. There is always room to crash and the people in this hobby will give you the shirts off their backs, so all you really need to bring is some basic university food staples (beer and smokies) and you are set.

The Dauphin is currently sitting in the Aerospace museum in Calgary. If we added any more motors, it would be in the P class, which bumps us out of "amateur rocketry" as defined by the governing bodies (CAR, Transport Canada). The end result is that we would have to fund our own insurance, which we estimate would be in excess of 20K per launch. Don't worry, we are working on that... ;) Our next project will be an altitude attempt with a minimum diameter, 25 sec burn full O...

You guys leaning towards Tennessee? That may work for me. I could go visit my friends at "Ison Aircraft":D :D :D .............Larry in Manson,Iowa

Hmmm, Tennessee. Not a bad location at all. I'm in the Kansas City area. That would work out very well.

Originally posted by stymye

Stymye, Tenn is looking better everyday. Give us more info on the place. What town/city is nearest to it?

Originally posted by Rockhiittman
Oh Ya,
For those not familliar with Worcester,it's the birthplace of Dr. Robert Goddard.I'm sure we all know who this is,
Right?

excelent point. I was going to say the same thing...you just beat me too it.

Are you a member of CMASS?

Richmond, VA. Capital of the Confederacy. Where the natives can't let go of the past and can't figure out why the future seems to pass them by. There isn't even an NAR chapter here!

I could maybe do NC trip, maybe, depending if my wife is on-call.

Originally posted by Chilly
Still trying to talk her into LDRS at Buffalo next summer but that's been a tough sell so far. Will go solo with the boys if I have to!

Hope to see you there. The field is about an hour from my house ; so I'm pumped. LDRS and I don't have to drive 1500+ miles. Now what to build.......

Al:cool:

Stymye, Tenn is looking better everyday. Give us more info on the place. What town/city is nearest to it

I will talk to the club pres (Jason) about it and I sent him a link to
this thread

The MC2 field is in Manchester, Tennessee.......exit 111 off of I-24

It's about 1 hr east of downtown Nashville.The club is still pretty new and we have limited "Facilitys".but plenty of rods and rails and space..and we provide a very informal, friendly atmosphere

there is also Hypertech support at most launches now
unfortunately,no venders in the area...and no instate motor sources that I know of

as far as leups,ect
as of right now, each rocketer is solely responsible for their own paperwork,leup,compliance, ect...and the club officers will assume as such...and will not be held responsible for any violations ...If an agent was to inexplicably show up.

but don't quote me on that ,as Jason obviously has the final word on such matters.

The Mc2 field used to be the site of the legendary Spears range

this is where alot of big names in model/sport rocketry and amature rocketry got their start.
also National Geographic filmed a documentary there on Amature rocketry

I think we also went the first 2 years without loosing a single rocket.the field is huge.. BTW when is the planned timeframe?

SoCal here... Dana Point, exactly halfway between Los Angeles and San Diego...

Oh, yeah... Black Rock :D For those who haven't been there... well... it's kind of a whole new mindset about flying fields... you have a feeling of smallness and insignificance, it's just got this whole vibe about it...

Wow, it sounds like I've been hanging out with the Burning Man people... :rolleyes: :p

I live on Long Island,
That's the peoples republic of New York.
Anyone out there live on Long Island, I need a rocket buddy.

Not Alaska but Michigan...we're not listed either...

Hmmm...we must live in the...etc part of America.

sandman

hprt, your not alone....... i live in beamsville ontario, about 20
miles from niagara falls.........als57, LDRS is an hour and a half
drive for me....... already marked on the calander.

nascar1
tra#09080
level 2
:) :)

I'm from Jersey! You from Jersey! Yo!

I've lived and worked in the Tri-State (NJ, PA, DE) all my life. I've never heard it referred to as the New England area, just the Northeast.

I'm from the U.S.A.'s 12th ranked dairy county, in the heart of the Great State of Minnesota!:D

<---- Virginia Beach VA :D

South Eastern Virgina Rocketry Association

Covering Virginia Beach, Suffolk, Norfolk, Hampton, Isle of Wight, Williamsburg, and Richmond.

VB - do you allow low power types to fly with? Where do you fly in the VA beach area?

Back