loose fitting center ring

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arthur dent

Reaction score
hi
I am building a mid power rocket with parts from an ardvark sandhawk.The problem is i had to supply my own bodytube and the center rings are just a bit loose.Does anybody have any ideas how i can get a snug fit... ?????

I know the concept that a snug fit makes for a better bond, but unless you are planning to use a really fast motor, you are probably Ok just letting the glue fill the void between the CR and the tube. I've done this with home made rings on mid and high power - carpenter's glue on the mid, and epoxy on the high. That of course depends on how loose they are. Install the mmt so there are good fillets above the rings.

Another solution might be to use polyurethane glue, such as Gorilla glue, this expands as it cures and will fill the gap. Also mage sure there is a godd fillet above the top ring.

For *big* gaps, I have built up the ring with fiberglass, and even used wood shims. If you have scrap tubing, you might use a liner tube, or even a partial liner (circumferally). Test fit before you glue :D

My son's Fat Boy has loose fitting rings. The white BT 80 in this kit seems thinner walled than standard. I helped him use polyurethane glue on the top centering ring and inside on the bottom centering ring and it did a fine job. You just don't want it where it will be visible, as it foams and expands irregularly as it cures. I found that it cures much faster in warmth and high humidity. It soaks into the cardboard very well, which has to add to the bonding strength.

thanks..i sounds like this is not much of a problem so ill go ahead and just fill with epoxy ....cheers:)

Back