First scratch built rocket - Fliskits parts

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seo

Reaction score
Getting ready to try my first scratch built rocket. I have attached a Rsim 7 file. I plan on buying the parts from Fliskits. Any comments, suggestions for improvement to my design?

Scott

:)

seo, looks to be a good basic rocket and a good start into scratch building. My only comments are that the mass object in the payload isn't required and the chute might be a bit large.

PS - when the design is finalized, post a new copy (if required) so I can archive the rsim on EMRR ;)

Thanks for the Feedback Dick.

I wasn't sure about the mass object in the nose. I was trying to keep it very stable even with C motors.

Once I build it and fly it I will submit the final Rsim file to EMRR.

Thanks again:)

Scott

seo, adding more static margin isn't necessarily a good thing. You can make a rocket overstable - where it will be more succeptible to weathercocking and/or wind-induced instability. In your case, I think you'd be ok either way. You should ideally plan to have just static margin just over unity. In rsim, the rsim cp is usually more conservative then the barrowman, and can be trusted. If you have an odd design or are concerned, you should use the more pessimistic of the two to be sure.

I think its cool!

My Son wantsa to make one now, item 41 on the list of things to build!

Originally posted by rstaff3
seo, adding more static margin isn't necessarily a good thing. You can make a rocket overstable - where it will be more succeptible to weathercocking and/or wind-induced instability. In your case, I think you'd be ok either way. You should ideally plan to have just static margin just over unity. In rsim, the rsim cp is usually more conservative then the barrowman, and can be trusted. If you have an odd design or are concerned, you should use the more pessimistic of the two to be sure.

Thanks for the tips. I have taken the mass object out and now the static margin is 1.5 per Barrowman and 1.8 per Rocksim with a C6-5 engine. Do you think that is still too conservative?

Scott

Originally posted by elbmod
I think its cool!

My Son wantsa to make one now, item 41 on the list of things to build!

Let me know if you build it. Would be interested in how it performs. I plan on building it this month.

Scott

seo, that is just fine. IIRC the stability was fine with a d21 too, but you should double check.

Thanks Dick.

BTW, I have changed the name of the rocket to AEKM-1.

Could you post a screen snap from rocksim? I don't have rocksim and can't view the file. would love to see what folks are talking about :)

Also, i'm away at NARAM, but my daughter (Jen) is covering all the shipping, should you order the parts while I'm away.

jim

Originally posted by jflis
Could you post a screen snap from rocksim? I don't have rocksim and can't view the file. would love to see what folks are talking about :)

Also, i'm away at NARAM, but my daughter (Jen) is covering all the shipping, should you order the parts while I'm away.

jim

Hi Jim-

I just placed the order a little while ago. I also added a note asking if you could stick in a DW body tube, the USPS crushed mine during shipment. I was hoping it could go in the same shipment as the parts, to save on shipping it separate.

I'll try to post a pic later this evening.

Scott

Could you post a screen snap from rocksim?

jim

Jim-

I have attached a jpg, hopefully you can view those.

I already got an e-mail back from Jen- She is on top of my order and is going to include a replacement BT for my DW kit.

Thanks!!!

Scott

ok, that's cool :)

odd... ...i recognize all them parts :D

Glad Jen is taken care of you. can't wait to see the finished product. Am I correct that it is an 18mm model?

jim

ok, that's cool :)

odd... ...i recognize all them parts :D

Glad Jen is taken care of you. can't wait to see the finished product. Am I correct that it is an 18mm model?

jim

Yes 18mm. DW nose cone, BT60 for the payload, BT55 for the bottom portion. I ordered all the parts except the BT60, I was able to salvage 6" of my DW BT that the post office crushed!

It will be an all Fliskits parts rocket.:cool:

Scott

I received an e-mail from Jim this morning, my parts are on the way. I will post construction pics as I go along.

Scott
:) :D ;)

Well-

It's been almost a year. Our twin girls have just turned one and I'm finally getting back to building rockets. I have attached a pic of the scratch design, it is now built and awating finishing. Also shows some of the other Rockets I've been working on.

Seo,
I started reading this thread and was most of the way through it before I realized the start of it was a year old, and you were talking about the crushed tube for your DW. I saw your fleet pictures in another post and the DW looked fine, I was scratching my head:eek: Then I looked at the dates.
You need to get some paint on those rockets:) You will love the Deuces Wild, and your Rhino looks good. I don't have the preator(sp?) but it looks cool. Your scratch built is nice also.........Larry

Originally posted by seo
It's been almost a year. Our twin girls have just turned one and I'm finally getting back to building rockets.

This is impressive. The quilt I cut out the night before I went into labor over 11 years ago is sitting in a bag at the bottom of a drawer. And I didn't even have twins. :rolleyes:

Great looking birds and I love your scratch built. It's odd (for me) to see the Deuce nose cone on another rocket LOL

Looks like she'll look great in the air too!
jim

Back