White Glue as filling?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crashinj

Reaction score
:D Got my new Sport Rocketry magazine, on page 12 Peter Alway talks about using white glue then using a credit card to squeegee it off. Never heard of this one, can anyone shed some light on the subject?

CrashinJ

I haven't read that particular article but, my guess is he's talking about filling the grain on fins. I believe the white glue is thinned out a bit (w/water?) and after coating the surface of the fin is "squeegeed" off.

I tried to do this once...It warped the fins unbelievably...beyond repair...I will never do that agian...always sanding sealer (I buy the quart cans at Home Depot)

I've been using that technique for over 40 years.

The trick is to do both sides of the fin at the same time! And do it AFTER the fin is sanded and attached.

I've NEVER had a fin warp.

Better than fill 'n finish.

sandman

10-4, what sandman said. Works great.
I do all surfaces at the same time and have had zero problems.
Dries quick and sands easy. Do as many coats as you like.

I don't doubt it works, however, be aware that white glue shrinks just a bit when it dries. I believe there are better choices such as sanding sealer, thin wood filler or thin water putty.

My $0.02.

--Lance.

I've used this method, never had a warp either. If I wouldn't of done it to the fins on one rocket the one fin would have broke.

:) Ok, think I'll try it. I'm always open to something new. Mix it up about 50% water and 50% glue? Of course untill my Son leaves next week and we get that deck built for his Mother, my time is taken up pretty good.

Thanks

Crashin J

...I've had problems with warping mainly due to the type of balsa used

shy away from lightweight" A "grain on fins if possible
it can warp just from humidity.

Originally posted by crashinj
:) Ok, think I'll try it. I'm always open to something new. Mix it up about 50% water and 50% glue? Of course untill my Son leaves next week and we get that deck built for his Mother, my time is taken up pretty good.

Thanks

Crashin J
Is that about right...50%/50% glue water? Can you use yellow glue? 24hrs to dry?

Silver,
Yes, I use the yellow and mix with water until it's easy to brush.
I don't concern myself with being exact, I just mix.
Dries fairly quick and easy to sand and do it all again.
Be sure to coat all surfaces to avoid warping. For example, I always coats the entire fin, all fins, as a matter of fact every balsa part on the rocket gets a coat. By the time I've finished the last part I do back to the first and touch up any runs.:D

Actually, I never thin my glue. I just squeeze it right out of the bottle and brush it thin and smooth.

You could thicken it with talcum powder too. I've never thickened it but JimZ says that's what he uses.

I never thin white glue.

sandman

Originally posted by sandman
Actually, I never thin my glue. I just squeeze it right out of the bottle and brush it thin and smooth.

You could thicken it with talcum powder too. I've never thickened it but JimZ says that's what he uses.

I never thin white glue.

sandman
Well, I'm trying the yellow straight out of the bottle with an index card. It seems to coat real well with smooth layer. So humid, I'll have to wait until tomorrow to sand...at least tomorrow!

Back