paint removel

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arthur dent

Reaction score
HELP>>Has anybody got any advice on removing paint from a rocket..Its got primer and a coat of white paint on it.Are there any products i can use or is it just a case of sanding it off...Cheers for any advice..

I cast a vote for sanding it
otherwise you might have a gooey mess

Your best bet is to sand it down.

If it's white, why not just sand it a little to get the outer shell off and then repaint with whatever color you want to paint it in???

No sense in sanding all the way to the primer or bare is there??

:D

On one of my first black brant II's i screwed up with my painting and needed to remove the paint.

What i found to work was Brake Clean. A solvent used to clean automotove brake parts. Took everything off, just had to keep spraying and wiping with rags/paper towells.

The trick to this stuff is that it evaporates completely leaving no residue.

Worked ok for me, and the BB II is looking good. I've used this method once or twice since then also and been ok.

It will however eat plastic if you leave it on too long so you have to be careful with that, but i noticed no detrimental effects to either the cardboard tubing or the fins..

Jason

My first color coat after primer is usually a coat of white. It makes the colors come out better. If there is nothing wrong with the white layer of paint just hit it with some 400-600 grit, and paint away.

I have used a rag with paint thinner on it, and just wiped paint off. Never had a problem with an Estes plastic NC, but I used it on a Quest Nike Smoke once and it chewed up the plastic real bad.

Its sanding 4,paint removal products 2...looks like ill have to go with the sanding...Thanks everyone:)

ARTHUR, STOP!!!

White is a great base coat under most colors.

Make sure the paint is COMPLETLY DRY!!!

Smell it HARD!!! If you can smell paint...wait.

When you are convinced it's completely dry, lightly sand it and just paint over it.

Repaint it with the same brand of paint.

Go light on the first one or two coat (very light) to be sure of compatability.

Like Jase said!

Why go through all the work if you don't have to.

I've been there...done that!

sandman

Back