Glow in the Dark Paint

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weekends

Reaction score
I just came across this website. Was wondering if anyone has ever used this product or similar.

https://www.glowinc.com/Default.htm

It has a short write up about the glow in the dark paint being used on an Estes model. Looks kinda neat. Anyhoo, enjoy.

Weekends

Sounds cool. I have never used it on a rocket but my friends have used it to paint stuff. It is neat.

I am interested how does this stuff work?

They have 2 different forms of the paint. One is a paint, the other is a powder. It seems that the powder is added to a non-glowing paint, gel, wax, etc..

Before use, you have to charge it up. They say to use a blacklight for the best results. I wonder if you can add the glow powder to preformed plastic. Then mold the pastic into a nose cone or fin can?

For the powders, they list what types of paint you can add it to.

Weekends

Weekend:
I'm in the Sign business, we use this material for Invisible hallway "wayfinding" directions for emergency exit signs, arrows, wall graphics etc. This product and a lot of other 24 hour glow material are great in "Total Darkness" but rely on the fact the human eye "adjusts" to the available light fairly quickly. Most of these product will "Glow" brightly for less then 3 to 5 minutes than become very dim but seeable in "total darkness" for up to 24 hours.
this stuff is ok for model painting to be used inside, Black light is best to activate but any light source well charge the particals. and the Zinc based material is Heavy.
I have used both powder and paint, Neither is any good at all for outdoor use. the ambient lighting from distant street lights, headlights and even the moon make the coated parts very difficult to see after a very brief time. I wouldn't even recommend it even as a "back up" for a night flying model.
I did mix the powder with casting resin and molded Glow in the Dark nose cones in 6mm all the way to BT-50 size, They are neat in your room when the lights go out but are almost useless outside on the models, and Very Heavy!
If you paint windows patches and fins of your models with the material they will glow greenish-yellow in the dark. Mixing the powder with dark color paints does not work. only a very tiny glow can be precived even in total darkness.
If your looking to light up your models, Leds and 3volt lithium batteries are the way to go:)

Thanks for the skinny Micromister. That's definately some good info.

Thanks,
Weekends

Back