Elmers Fill-n-Finish : How to use?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RevKeith

Reaction score
I've seen several tips on using Elmers Fill-N-Finish for balsa fins and nose cones. How do you use it? Do you thin it with water or straight out of the can? Thanks,

revkeith

I do thin it with water. You want something a little thinner than peanut butter. Or maybe even a bit thinner. Right out of the tub, it won't settle nicely into the grain in the balsa easily.

Apply with a brush, and let dry. Don't be afraid to really slather it on, as it sands really easily.

I usually start with 320 grit, put on a second coat, 320 grit again, then finish with 400 and a final smoothing with 600.

Hope this helps,

Will Scarvie

I use Elmer's Carpenter's Finishing Wood Filler which is probably the same thing.

I like to thin it down slightly with water and rub it into the wood grain with my finger.

Think those are the same thing. I water it slightly and 'slather' it on and work it in to the grain. I then pull backward with my thumb and forefinger, away from the BT and toward the tip of the fins. I then mosten my finger slightly and rub the surface to make it a bit more uniform. I don't spend as much effor in finishing as the average person, usually only using 2 grades of paper. One note though, the coarser papers do seem to leave a much rougher surface than they would on balsa. A lighter paper then works these out. Then several coats of primer...

Whatever you call it. I usually start with my fillets first. I use it out of a tube and sqeeze a dab in the fin fillet area then run my finger down once to shape it, dip my finger in some clean water and shake of excess, then run my finger down the fillet again. This usually leaves a pretty decent finish that requires little sanding. You can build layers but just a little at a time.
Once the fillets are done, I mix a little filler with water like wscarvie does and do the fin surfaces and body tube grooves.

Sure works better than baby powder and airplane dope (circa 1971)

the "Carpenters Wood Filler" and "Fill and finish" are simular but they are definately not the same
the Carpenters Wood Filler is MUCH harder to sand
go with Fill and Finish if you have a choice

I pretty much do the same that the others have mentioned. I thin mine pretty thin. Apply with a finger and sand, sand, sand.

It is really good stuff. I seal my fins before I attach them to the body tube. I find it easier to handle. Just make sure you sand the root edge and about 1/4 of an inch up from the root edge so the glue can hold firmly.

Weekends

Originally posted by stymye
the "Carpenters Wood Filler" and "Fill and finish" are simular but they are definately not the same
the Carpenters Wood Filler is MUCH harder to sand go with Fill and Finish if you have a choice
Actually, Fill n' Finish currently doesn't say that on the the tub, it says "Carpenter's Finishing Wood Filler" - Note the word "Finishing", like SS said. See Elmer's

While the product header says "Fill n' Finish" the label on the tub says "Carpenter's Finishing Wood Filler". This is a different product than the standard "Carpenter's Interior Wood Filler" (which, as you said is more difficult to deal with).

FWIW,
-bill

Bill thanks for clearing things up ..I can't seem to keep up with the different product names anymore

Ain't no thang. I only know 'cause I hunted for Fill N' Finish for WEEKS before I figured it out..:confused:

Just when you find a good thing....Elmers goes and changes the name. Thanks for the info. I was affraid that Elmers had quit making the stuff but Wally World is full of little tubs with orange lids - just a different name.

Keith

Back