Pringles can rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Larry

Reaction score
Have any of you tried to make a rocket out of Pringles cans? This is a photo of my first attempt at one. I used two cans, the fins are a copy of the Fliskits Rhino fins. there are five. I slotted the tube and added a tab to the fins to attach them to the motor tube. I added filets to the inside insead of having them on the outside. I covered the fins with the outer wrap from other empty Pringles cans. The nosecone I turned on a drill press and covered with pieces of outer wrap scrap from the cans I had. It turned out pretty good. It hasn't flown yet, but I did spin test it and it pointed straight ahead. It weighs about 10 oz. and has a 24mm motor mount. Hope to get a chance to try it out soon....Larry

Looks nice, 'specially the NC :) I have'nt used Pringels cans, but I'm sure they are great.

I am with rstaff3 here...How the heck did you get the nosecone so nice???!!!

Excellent job man, we want Launch pics!

Carl

Good job, love the NC.

My camera rocket is using pringles cans for tube so I sure hope they do work, if not its just a good excuse to eat pringles.

Larry sent me pix of this the other day and I nearly died! I love it! and you should see the nose cone at other angles! It really is fantastic.

Larry, post the pix of the closeup of the nose cone. and, if you could, one of the tail end too!

jim

I have several P- cans in the parts bin for just this purpose. One day, one day...:rolleyes:

-bill

Originally posted by wyldbill
I have several P- cans in the parts bin for just this purpose. One day, one day...:rolleyes:

-bill

Same here, they had a 'buy one, get one free' on Pringles at the supermarket over the road from work, a few months ago, and the empty tubes have been waiting for me to startwork on them ever since.

Be sure to post some launch piccies.

LOL, wonder how long it'll be till Rocksim ships with Pringles tubes as a standard component in its libary? :D

Nice. Almost an odd roc. Did you leave the metal parts on, or just make it look like you did?

Guys,
Thanks for all the kind complements. The nosecone I turned out of a balsa block. I didn't get it quite centered so it didn't come out perfect. I had to cheat and use some Elmers wood filler to clean it up a bit. When I started this project I had an idea, but not sure what direction it would take. I knew if I could get the wraps off the cans they would work great to cover the fins, but the nosecone was a different story. I first tried strips of the can wrap but that didn't work well. I was going to just paint it, but then about 11:45pm I got an idea. I took some of the scrap can wrap and scraped off as much of the cardboard as I could using a single edge razor blade to make them thin. I then tore round and odd shapes from the three different color cans, and started gluing them on. Overlaping them slightly. Man, it worked so well I was disappointed when I was done.
The silver on the cans is a paper wrap top bottom and center painted Silver, its the only part of the rocket that is painted.
Per request here is a photo of the nosecone Jim was talking about. Again thanks guys for the complements, and I will post some launch pictures as soon as I get the chance..........Larry

Hey guys this thing flies:D I tried it on Saturday evening on a D12-3. It flew ok,but didn't go very high. So Sunday I decided to try it on a E28-4T. MAN!!!!, I havn't flown a Blue Thunder load for a while. Photo shows what I mean......Larry

After a neck snapping boost that caught both myself and my wife slow on the shutter I did manage to get a shot of it on its way back. It was dead quiet so it went straight up, and ended up not more than a hundred feet from the pad. The ejection was just after apogee, perfect.....Larry

well done Larry, i have a few liftoff photos like that to using blue thunder reloads, great rocket and a great flight to top it off!
i think ill have to get some pringles

matt

Hey Silverad,
You asked about the dip????? Here it is:D :D :D :D

Originally posted by Larry
Hey Silverad,
You asked about the dip????? Here it is:D :D :D :D

ROTFLMAO!!! :D :D :D

Thanks for the great start to my morning Larry,

Will Scarvie

Back