RRC2 recovery option

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt

Reaction score
hey guys just got my RRC2X version the other day but i was wondering with the possison im puting it in
( In a payload bay just under the nosecone on the very top of the rocket where the Main recovery chute is bellow the avionics bay and the drouge on top)
I wish to fire the ejection from the top of the rocket but i was wondering if I needed to cut the airframe in half about 100mm above the top of the motor mount and put a coupler in the airframe so it can seperate at the bottom or would the ejection be powerful enough to push out the top and the drag of falling would allow the parachute to fully open.

The kit is a 4.0 inch PML tethys modifyed to house a 12inch payload bay

if you need a picture to understand what i am trying to do ill put a picture on the forum

heres the picture weather it clears thingas up for you i don't know by the way the red lines are the cut in the ariframe where it can seperate

If you cut it there and place a bulkhead in the coupler, you will have an anti-zipper main deployment. Kinda cool. But it's not really necessary -- you already have a drogue chute out that will be pulling on the payload/upper section of the rocket. When the main charge fires, it should pull right out with the drag from the drogue chute. This is like doing same end dual deploy without a release device :).

What I would definitely advise you to do is to use shear pins or a release device (e.g. ARRD, Tether) in the booster to keep it together during the ride down, or if possible, place the main chute in the payload section. You'd be surprised how much chute and shock cord you can get into a small space -- I fit an R3C main chute and 20 feet of 9/16" Tubular Nylon into a 54mm x 10" payload section for my PML Phobos. If you're desperate for space, you can cut out the base of the nose cone and take advantage of that room too. With the main up top, there won't be a tendency to pull the big chute out at drogue ejection or on the trip down. You can also back up the drogue chute with the motor charge.

HTH.

Latest posts

Back