Rookie mistake on my first Scratch built.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pjbatglen

Reaction score
Hello,
After reading past threads about cloning old kit, I decided to try it for myself. I have decided to build the Estes Andromeda kit. I remember building and flying this rocket when I was a youngen back in the late 70’s.
The fist thing I did was download the instructions from JimZ site (great site). After ordering a supply of tubes from Totally Tubular, I cut them all down to size. I also cut out the fins and the dowel standoffs. See attachment.

I was progressing rather nicely when I made a rookie mistake. I was supposed to use a split ring in the back to accommodate the engine hook so I cut a complete ring but when I assembled the rear unit it collapsed the back tub and the engine would not fit. So I decided to use a complete ring and assembled and glued the rear unit.
Big mistake. I had the ring to the very rear and then I realized that could not pull the hook back far enough to insert the hook. So I decided to cut off the back four inches and reassemble the unit correctly and attach it with a coupler to the front section.
Well it did not work. When I put the slightest toque on the hook it flexes at the coupler where I joined the two sections together.
I guess that I will have to cut the rear section off at the original length of 18 inches and use one solid tube. I can do this with no problem, I have plenty of tube. But is there any thing that I could do that is not so drastic?

Forgive my ignorance in understanding your problem. But this is the way I see it.

You seem to have secured the engine hook on the motor tube too close to the rear. This requires way too much side force to bend the hook out of the way so that you can insert an engine...am I correct?

I wanna help but we are not communicating perfectly.

I secure my engine hooks no more than an inch or 1.25" back from the front end of the hook.

I use nylon reinforced packaging tape (one wrap only!)

With BT-50 models I sometimes cut a slot for the engine hook into the BT-50 to allow the hook to bend out of the way, just a little bit more...you can hardly notice it.

As a last resort cut a new 18" length of tube and redo the end. Save the piece you have for a next project.

sandman

Sandman,
By no means are you ignorant. I reread the post and I was'nt sure what I was talking about.
What I did was place the aft centering ring flush with the end of the tube. Because I did this, I was unable to move the clip enough to insert the engine. So I cut off the last four inches, because that was the length of the main engine unit.
I then reassembled the unit with the aft ring one inch back. I then glued the new assemble to the end of the main tube.
After it dried I was able to pull the hook back so I can insert the engine, but I saw the tube flex at the joint where I added the assembly. I figure that this will eventually bend when inserting an engine or worse during a launch.
It sounds like you got the idea and suggest me to replace the entire 18 inches and do it right. When I get home I will take pictures and post the before and after repair.

Paul

Well, It's no big deal.

You'll have a motor mount ready for your next project.

Hmmmm, what can you make with a BT-50 that has a motor mount already made....like a hundred different models!

If you can get a clear payload section (Nova Payloader has one), an Astron Constellation is still my favorite!

Like I just posted to Carl, this is the decal set you'll need.

https://www.provide.net/~jimz/d-13.gif

Go build some more. The world can NEVER have too many clones!

sandman

Here is an update on my Andromeda. As you can see I have repaired the mistake with the MMT. I will use the MMT on a future rocket.
I have decided to not put the rings that should be located in the rear section. This is because I did not have any centering rings that were the correct size, another rookie mistake I will build a second clone which will have all the parts.

I will paint that clone before I assemble it, which I think will be easier than after assembling.

As you can see, have attached the large sails and the fins that will hold the outboard engines. The next step is to attach the dowels that run to the middle of the tube. I still need to purchase the cone. Should I plastic or balsa?

Just wondering if you ever finished your Andromeda? I want to clone this myself and I'd like to see how yours turned out.

I am happy to anounce that I was able to recover from my mistake and complete my clone of the Andromeda. I have attached a photo of the lady after she was primed and just before the final coat of black.

I took Andromeda with me for her madian launch about two weeks ago. She flew very nicly on her first flight. Unfunatley she suffered some minor damage.
When I first built her I never installed(forgot) the two rings that go the outside of the body down by the big solar wind wings. I didn't think that they were very important. I guess that is wy I am not a rocket scientist.
When she came down one of the two smaller pods broke off. I will need to repair her and add the rings on to act as braces for the big fins and the smaller fins.

attached is a picture of Andromeda with the hang pod.

Very cool. I'm about to embark on the final stages of an Andromeda that I started in June of 2001. (I guess that makes it vintage.) I've even got a set of JimZ decals that I bought back then, so I'm really loaded for bear on this one. Any details about the flight you care to share?

There is not much to say about the launch other that it was beutiful. Since it was her first launch I used an Estes B6-4. I set it up on the pad and attached the clips to the igniter leads.

What was strange was the feeling I had when I saw someone else pressed the button to ignite the motor. This was also the first time I attened a club launch and I kind of missed not doing it myself. On the other hand, I had the best view I ever had watching my birds fly.

When the motor ignited and she left the pad I was able to she that her flight was straight and true. It was not very high, maybe 200-300 ft. but I guess that was because of the B6-4. After a short time she reached apogee and bgan to arc over. At that time the cone came out and pulled the chute open and she drifted down very nicely. When I picked her off the ground I saw the broken fin.

I will repair her and then lauch her on a C motor. I may even build a second one but on an upscale. maybe a 2X.

Good luck on your bird.
P.S.
do you have any pics of her at this stage of her build?

Originally posted by pjbatglen

I will repair her and then lauch her on a C motor. I may even build a second one but on an upscale. maybe a 2X.

Good luck on your bird.
P.S.
do you have any pics of her at this stage of her build? [/B]

I like the idea of an upscale. Someone did a HUGE one a few years back.
https://www.rocketreviews.com/reviews/scratch/upscale_andromeda.html
I've never heard anything about it since this was posted. Wonder if it ever flew again?

As for pictures, I have two of them somewhere, but I can't find them just now. They're just pics of the completed body. No fins are attached yet.

yep, that's Drake's Andromeda (he's the guy who the FlisKits Drake is named after :) )

I've seen that puppy fly at NARCON2003 and at LDRS last year. Simply incredible!

here;s a great pic of it from LDRS: https://fliskits.com/photo_album/ldrs2004/images/p2240070.jpg

To date though, I haven't gotten a launch pix for one reason or another... heck, this time I even helped him get it on the pad and I missed the launch shot! LOL

You can see more of on the LDRS photo album at: https://fliskits.com/photo_album/ldrs2004/index.htm

jim

Back