Motor tube Location

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hi_power

Reaction score
I am currently building a Vaughn Brothers 3" x 5' Javelin rocket. I'm doing a few mods and have a question about the location of the Motor tube. I've made the modification of a zipperless design by putting 3 bulkhead plates into the coupler and drilling all three plates with four 3/8" holes to create a baffle between the airframe and the payload bay which will house the parachute. My question is that with this design it leaves a bit of space from the top of the motor tube to the baffle (about 2 feet). Is this space sufficient to still get enough pressure from the ejection load to go through the baffle I've built and separate the rocket at the payload bay to release the parachute ? or should I put a extention tube onto the motor mount tube to bring it further up the airframe? The only other design I can think of is the locate the baffle closer down the tube to the motor tube and install another coupler to the payload bay? Whatcha guys think? Thanks in advance.

Back