Krylon clouding up

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lalligood

Reaction score
I'm building my first HPR, a PML Phobos, & am in the middle of putting on the paint job. I'm being patient & using Krylon exclusively (I've read all the posts on mixing brands of paint & the horrors it can lead to) however it appears that I am running into an issue of my own: When laying down the final glossy coat of color, it kind of clouds up & the gloss isn't so glossy anymore... What is discouraging is that it isn't affecting the entire surface area covered--in fact it only really seems to be on the G-10 fins.

I had this exact same result happen to me on the BT of an Estes Fatboy (although with a different color paint) so I feel like it is NOT related to the material of what I'm spraying. This cloudiness didn't bother me nearly as much on the Fat Boy because of it being a much smaller project.

However, I'm determined to have my Phobos glossy all over. Anyone have any hints as to what may have caused this (so I can prevent it in the future) and/or what I can do to restore the glossy sheen?

Thank you for your help!

The cloudyness is from HUMIDITY!

Yer gonna hafta wait 'til it's dryer out and recoat it.

It'll be fine then.

sandman

lalligood,

I've used Krylon products on several rockets and have not been happy with the gloss results either. The paint is fine but the finish is less than what I expect. So, I started trying other paints and settled on ACE hardware brand gloss paints. IMHO there is no comparison, the ACE hardware paint gives a deeper and richer gloss. I've used gloss white, red and black. Drying time is a little longer but the results are worth it. I used red and white gloss on my scratchbuild and it glossed up very nice. In fact, someone asked me if I used automotive paint. I used gloss black on my Transglobal Interceptor and the gloss finish is fantastic.

Just painted my repaired Deuces Wild with some left over Krylon grey, same color as 1/2 my Mustang, and while it came out very nice I'm not happy with the gloss. I'll repaint with ACE.

Just my .02 worth.

Swimmer

lalligood,

ACE hardware paint works just fine over Krylon primers.

Again, just my .02 worth.:D

Swimmer

lalligood,

One more thing (and I don't work for ACE). The nozzle on the ACE rattlecan is the best I've used. They have a nice fan pattern.

Just my 0.2, well, getting towards my .03 worth. :D :D

Thank you for the explanation! Being in muggy, hot Orlando, I can see that I should practically expect that result... I did bring it inside soon after though & surprisingly most (but definitely not all) of the gloss returned.

The cloudyness is from HUMIDITY!

When paint reacts with moisture in the atmosphere, this is referred to as "blushing".

Krylon seems to be more prone to blush than other brands of spray enamel.

Krylon is a *very fast* drying paint. Fast drying paints don't do well at all in high humidity environments.

When I used to do some painting of cars, they had different speeds of thinner available for different humidity conditions. The very slow thinners for high humidity conditions, medium speed thinners for "normal" conditions, and the very fast thinners (also referred to as "hot" thinners) that were for low humidity conditions. Some of the hot/fast thinners would evaporate so fast you had to be very careful handling them, as they could cause frostbite if they got on unprotected skin.

One of the disadvantages of painting with spray cans is that you can't "adjust the mix" to account for humidity conditions.

I should never have sold my spray painting equipment.....

Originally posted by lalligood
Thank you for the explanation! Being in muggy, hot Orlando, I can see that I should practically expect that result... I did bring it inside soon after though & surprisingly most (but definitely not all) of the gloss returned.

Greetings from Tampa! Where do you fly MPR/HPR? Welcome to the forum BTW. Wow, another semi-local flyer! Drop me a line sometime. I'd be glad to trek over to Orlando to fly.

And yes, I've experienced cloudy paint jobs over here in Tampa. We get the same crappy humidity. Welcome to Florida I suppose! :rolleyes:

Yeah but at least you can fly year-round. Try Ohio in February.
If I ever get back to S.C. I'm never leaving again!!!

Back